Attaching Gum Paste Wood Slats To Cake...need Advise

Decorating By 1cakeup Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 4:47pm by AmbitiousBeginner

1cakeup Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a whiskey barrel cake filled with vegetables. The cake is covered with buttercream. I made wooden slats with gum paste to attach to the sides, but I'm not sure how to go about attaching them to the cake so that they will stay put. Client requested no fondant covering. This cake is pretty big and heavy! Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

6 replies
DianeLM Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 7

Melted chocolate will hold the slats on. If you can manage it, refrigeration will help hold everything together.

FerrariGal Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 7

I did a similar cake. I just attached them right onto my buttercream coating. I refrigerated the cake for a bit and it all stayed in place with no issues.

1cakeup Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the input! I tried to add an image of the planks but didn"t have an luck, think I'm doing something wrong here!

stormrider Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 7

You could also use a little extra buttercream to help them stick.

DianeLM Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cakeup

Thanks for the input! I tried to add an image of the planks but didn"t have an luck, think I'm doing something wrong here!

You can't attach photos to post. That feature has been on the fritz for months.

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 7

I am literally trying to figure out the same thing at this moment!

I used half gum paste and half MMF, does that make a difference. Also, my butter cream isn't crusting, will it still stick w/ only bc? I also have fondant should I just do a layer of MMF and glue onto that with gumpaste glue, or royal icing?

I'm making a castle for my daughter. The gumpaste/MMF is the front -- door, arch, banner. They are thin and need to stay vertical on the wall.

First time using gumpaste. All suggestions welcome & NEEDED.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%