Icing A Dummy Cake?

Decorating By Peachez Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 9:40pm by kimbm04r

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 4

Hello All~
I'm making a cake that is 3 tiers. The smallest & the largest will be actual cake. The middle tier will be a cake dummy. How do you suggest I ice this? The rest of the cake will be white buttercream. Do I just put the icing directly on the dummy? Do I cover the dummy with something like seran wrap? Won't the icing slide off? That would be the absolute last thing I'd want to happen!

Sorry if this has been addressed previously. I entered it in the search but nothing about what I was looking for came up.

Thanks so much!
Jenn

3 replies
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 4

I would say apply buttercream on the styrofoam direct as you would normally do to a cake. ( have never done it though) if i had to, thats what i would do. another idea may be to apply a very thin layer of piping jel, and then apply the bc. would love to see what other ideas would follow.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 4

I've iced buttercream directly on a cake dummy with no problem before.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 4

You can also pour thinned RI over the dummy and let it dry really well (several days), and then put the buttercream over the royal. Just make sure the royal is really dry first or the buttercream will slide off.

I didn't want to have to worry about cleaning all the grease off of the dummy by putting BC directly over the dummy and I have done this with success.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%