Should I Go To Culinary School??

Decorating By farmom3 Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 7:57pm by farmom3

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:42am
post #1 of 4

Hi every body I need your opinion
I do cake decorating as a hubby and my mom give me $12000 to go to culinary school it's 6 months program and they give me the certificate not as a pastry chef but they will find me a job , BUT unfortunately I am in divorce process now, I have 3 little kids (9-7-5) and my husband doesn't give us much money to live , that 12000 could help me a lot for start,
do you think if I go to that school I can get better job or use that money for living and find a job now, I love cake decorating and if you look at my cake they are not bad, I won my first competition and 2 of my cake published in book and magazine.
I never work in bakery before and I need your opinion about this
sorry for my bad English staying home for 11 years and take caring of the kids I never learn English icon_sad.gificon_redface.gif

Thank you so much

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:50am
post #2 of 4

Getting a baking & pastry certificate from a culinary school might help you if you applied for a job as a pastry chef at a high-end hotel or restaurant -- but they typically don't do cake decorating.

With your portfolio (very nice cakes by the way) you shouldn't have a problem getting hired as a decorator without the certificate, but the communication issue might be a roadblock. I would use the money to improve your verbal and written English communication skills with classes at a local college. Once you have those skills, business classes might be worthwhile if you are planning to start your own cake decorating business in the future.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:14am
post #3 of 4

Your work is amazing...if I were you I'd try to get a job with a local caterer or high end cake shop and keep the money to help you live. Your portfolio *should* help you get a job.

I was able to get a part time job with a caterer for some really decent pay based on my portfolio at the time...and at that time, my portfolio was nothing as nice as yours.

I think with your experience, six months of culinary school may not be what you need....unless you try to get a job and they all tell you they want you to have that. But definitely go around first with a professional resume and some nice portfolio books to show off (go to snapfish or something and make some nice printed books up to show them).

Your cakes are GREAT! Best of luck to you!

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%