Frustrated With This Brand Of Tylose:'(

Decorating By Mystic Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 3:41am by BlakesCakes

Mystic  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystic Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:31am
post #1 of 4

I've been making my own gumpaste for a while now, NO PROBLEM, I was using the CK product brand. It would always come out perfect, nice, stretchy and pliable. I had ran out of tylose "ck product" brand so i ran to the nearest cake store and they had this '"Confectionery Arts International" thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gificon_mad.gif tylose and I was short on time so I asked my sister to make it. it came out horiblle but I chalked it up to she just didnt do it right. But I just made it and it is the same way. SOOOOO Stiff doesn't stretch, shrinks back when i roll it out and not pliable icon_cry.gificon_mad.gif

Do you think it is the brand and has anyone else had this problem?

And this stuff is not cheap...Please help icon_cry.gif

3 replies
 bonniekaye  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:41am
post #2 of 4

CAI is the brand I use all the time and it works great. How much did you add per pound? You should use 1 tablespoon per pound or less, depending on how strong the gum paste needs to be. You can soften it up by working in some fondant.

bonniekaye  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #3 of 4

CAI is the brand I use all the time and it works great. How much did you add per pound? You should use 1 tablespoon per pound or less, depending on how strong the gum paste needs to be. You can soften it up by working in some fondant.

BlakesCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #4 of 4

There's nothing wrong with the CAI Tylose. It's probably just a different strength than you're used to using and you need to adjust the amount you use in the recipe.

If you usually put in 1TBSP, try putting in 1/2 TBSP. You can always knead in more. You just can't take it out once it's in there.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%