Decorating By SpoiledSweet Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 12:34am by PrivateNameHere

SpoiledSweet Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 14

I have been making cakes for a couple of years now. I am really interested in getting an airbrusher. I can't spend hundreds of dollars at this point, but I still want something that is nice and will do what I need it to. Any ideas??

13 replies
MadMillie Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 14

I have also been wanting to purchase one. I really want the KopyKake because it is designed to use with cakes and I've heard you will have minimum problems with one. However, someone mentioned on another post buying a different brand from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. You can save a lot of money, especially if you aren't going to use it a lot.

platinumlady Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 14

MadMillie that is exactly what I did...Michael's was having a sell on top of a sell plus was able to use 50% coupons (around Christmas time) I go the whole set for pennies on the dollar. What the sales & coupon sections even if you have to get one piece at a time.

The one I really wanted is at hobby lobby so I will get that one soon...(the way the ink is held makes it easier to operate) But since I have everything else it won't be a whole lot.

I also know that some started off with the smaller ones that you plug straight into the generator. theses you can get for about $20 works fine while you save to get the one you want.

MadMillie Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:22am
post #4 of 14

So some of the parts are interchangeable? That would definitely help when upgrading later.

platinumlady Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:39am
post #5 of 14

Yes ... the smaller ones that directly plug into the wall are not...but the ones you see most people use are.

Serena4016 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:20am
post #6 of 14

I have a Badger dual action airbrush and a compressor. I airbrushed and hand painted clothing for 20+ years so it was worth it for me to have a high quality airbrush. It depends what you want to use an airbrush for. If you just want to spray a simple color on to fondant I guess any airbrush would do. However if you want to be able to control the air and paint better and be able to do a little or alot more detailed work, I would get a artists airbrush (from an art supply store)..not a cheap one made by some cake decorating company. A dual action airbrush means with one button you can control the air and the amount of paint. Pushing down gives you air and pulling back on the trigger gives you paint.Tthe more you pull back on the trigger, the more paint you get. My airbrush also has 3 different tips.. Extra fine, medium and heavy duty..again allowing you to control the spray. The compressor is what cost the most.

MadMillie Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:44am
post #7 of 14

So would the airbrusch compressors from Hobby Lobby be considered high quality, the stormforce or one of the 2 below it?

platinumlady Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:59am
post #8 of 14

Serena4016 ... that's the same one I have...I love it! I'm just afraid one day I'm gonna spill the liquid out onto the cake...cause the one I have the cup doesn't have a lid. But Hobby Lobby has one that has a cup that has a lid & the cups on top instead of on the side. I'm just clumsy & that is my biggest fear when airbrushing a cake. So far so good. Badger has high quality products & last for a long time

funpets Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:51am
post #9 of 14

dont laugh at me!got the micheals 50%off coupon and went to buy abadger airbrush.for over one year now,didnt know i needed a compressor! and i still have it somewhere after trying to use my question now is,where do i get a compressor?thank you.

Sassy74 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 14

I bought mine on ebay, and I believe the company/store was TCP Global??? I've had it for a couple of years now, use it pretty regularly, and have absolutely no complaints. The kit I bought came with compressor, gun/hose assembly, and a box of 12 lg Americolor airbrush colors. I don't remember the exact price, but it was maybe $130? It was a great price, and as I said, it has been a great product.

If you go to ebay and search for cake airbrush kits, you'll get a lot of different options, so finding something in your price range shouldn't be too hard. I recommend TCP Global, because I know they sell great products, and they were extremely helpful over the phone.

funpets Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 12:14am
post #11 of 14
Originally Posted by funpets

dont laugh at me!got the micheals 50%off coupon and went to buy abadger airbrush.for over one year now,didnt know i needed a compressor! and i still have it somewhere after trying to use my question now is,where do i get a compressor?thank you.

pls i just wanna know where i can get a compressor and if anyone own a badger from micheals?

MadMillie Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #12 of 14

Serena4016, platinumlady or somebody, I bought the Badger compressor today from Micheals with a 40% off coupon. However, I didn't see any airbrushes with the small cup, it was a small Micheals. Just which airbrush do you have or recommend? I will probably have to order one.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 14

I have the aztek 470 and love it It comes with several different nozzles for different spary patterns. Be sure to get a compresssor with adjustable psi.

PrivateNameHere Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:34am
post #14 of 14

Is it necessary to get a specific for cakes only airbrush system?

Quote by @%username% on %date%