Standing Up L

Decorating By KaceyLee Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 10:28pm by Dayti

KaceyLee Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 3

I was asked to make a standing up L-shaped cake. I'm trying to figure out the best way to stack the cakes and have it completely stable.. any ideas??

2 replies
cakegrandma Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 3

What I would do is make the bottom part of the L in cake and set a couple of layers on cake boards with supports under them. I would put supports every couple of layers support the cake above and then I would set a dowel through all of it. Or you could make the bottom part of the L out of cake and the vertical part out of RKT's.
good luck,

Dayti Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 3

Make the horizontal part of the L from stacked rectangular layers. Make the vertical part with squares, but start building on the rectangle. Board every 4" and a dowel through the centre of the vertical (make holes in the boards beforehand, if you try and hammer one through you will likely have a cake wreck). Actually, even better would be to have a dowel inserted into your base, and place the square layers over that. Number of dowels will depend on how fat your vertical column is. I would crumb coat in ganache and then use fondant panels to decorate. I have done this for columns only that were 4" thick and quite high.

Quote by @%username% on %date%