Modeling Chcolate

Decorating By traiaberg Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 3:33pm by imagenthatnj

traiaberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traiaberg Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 3

I think I'm ready to take a plunge into making a batch of Modeling Chocolate for an upcoming project. I have two questions 1) can I use white and color it or can I use the colored melting discs? 2) Do I keep it stored in the fridge and for how long will it keep. I know I have to wrap it in plastic wrap then refridgerate it but for how long can it stay will it dry and be crumbly on me? Do I just let it sit out a bit to be room temp? Guess that was more than 2 questions. Oh yeah if I make my cut outs ahead of time how would I store them to then decorate my cake. I plan on using it in place of fondant. Thanks to all that have always been so helpful on this site.

2 replies
kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 3

I just made some.

I used Nestle Premium White Morsels and it turned out fine. I colored a piece of it red and it turned out fine.

Once you refrigerate it and then knead it into a pliable mass, I htink you can just keep it in a baggie at room temp. It will still get hard but not nearly as hard as in the fridge.

Just a few FYI's for you since it's your first time. icon_smile.gif

When you pour the syrup in, the chocolate will seize up and turn into a big ball of weird looking goo. They say to pour it out but it sort of just clumped out on me. It was oily too. As long as all of the syrup and chocolate is incorporated it will be ok. DON'T over stir because I think the more you stir, the olier it gets. Second, when you take it out of the fridge, it is HARD. And crumby. And doesn't seem to be right. But just take a bit at a time and start using the heat of your hands to soften it. And then, start kneading when you can. Once you can knead it, use your fingers, NOT your palms, until it gets nice and soft. Your palms are the warmest part of your hand and it will start to melt and get sticky if you use your palms.

Trust me, it doesn't seem like you've done it right when you first see this stuff but it works out. )

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 3

You can use white and color it. Read on that link below, Angela, the author says she's tried all the brands and they all work well.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate.html

I'm not sure how long you can store it, but lots of people will come up with the answers soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%