Help With Edible Image On Lv Purse

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 4:00pm by shannycakers

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all, I have an order for a louis vuitton purse, so I plan on using edible LV image onto a purse cake, but i have only used those on flat survaces. Any one know how to use edibles to contour around sides of cake and so forth? I assume i add it in pieces but how do you connect the sides of cake around the roundy parts, without the image bubbling..do you use exacto knife and lay and cut excess??

8 replies
KathieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathieB Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 9

I am new to all of this so I haven't tried this yet, but, can you tell me where I can find these images. I have an edible printer and would like to try these purses. Thank you!

shannycakers Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 9

getting the image part is not hard, its figuring out how to lay it contouring around the purse im having trouble with, to answer your question though, google images: LV wallpaper, and then you can resize if need be and print it out on your edible machine

1sweetpea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1sweetpea Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 9

hey there...placing edible images on convex surfaces is pretty straightforward, you just need to outline your plan of attack before starting. keep in mind that your images will behave like real paper, and won't cleanly execute complex curves (i.e., running down the side and bottom AND folding around the front or back) in a single piece...this will result in the "bubbling" or puckering you're talking about. make sure that you're only executing one bend per image (like down one side and across the bottom). as much as possible, design to keep pieces and strips of edible image on a single plane, and use seams/pcs of fondant to negotiate and conceal all your edges and parting lines. unfortunately i don't know the shape of your particular purse...that will determine how you apply your images.

hope that helps! if not, maybe you could provide a picture of the purse?

shannycakers Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you for your help sweet peeicon_smile.gif

I am thinking of the LV speedy design, and I guess i dont know how to do the sides, because I wouldnt know how much i need or the exact shape to cut the image out, so do i just lay it flat and then i would have extra coming off the sides that maybe i would need scissors to cut off?

1sweetpea Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 9

...that purse looks like a good candidate for this process, since it's mostly angles-to-planes icon_smile.gif i'm sure everyone has their own methods for covering these kinds of cakes. are you enrobing in fondant, or icing it?

KathieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathieB Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you Shannycaker.

1sweetpea Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 9

...either way, to determine the size of pieces needed, i would use a length of string to come up with the measurements from my assembled cake, and draw it out on a regular piece of paper to double check my shape before cutting my edibles. then there's some fine-tuning that will probably need done, after which you should be able to arrive at the right shape to cut!

shannycakers Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 9

Great idea! with the string, thank youicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%