Working With Fondant Cut Outs

Decorating By yeah4cake Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 4:57pm by amygortoncakes

yeah4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeah4cake Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 5

Is there a trick to cutting out the wacky alphabet from fondant without it taking half a day & looking like crap? I am at my wits end. I am using a very sharp exacto knife on a wooden cutting board. Any quick suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks so much! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 5

Have you covered your knife in powdered sugar or corn starch so it won't stick? Also, starting at a corner that already has one side cut, and then moving away from it, instead of toward it, while cutting the second side helps not misshape it. Try cutting with your knife at different angles too and see if that changes anything. You may need to make your fondant a little thicker too. HTH

nikki1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1273 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 5

I am a newbie, but I know that there are several tutorials on youtube. I know that some people use shortening on the board. Hope this helps.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 5

I have a few sets of alphabet cutters. For anything custom I roll the fondant. Let it dry for about 5 minute and then cut. It keeps the edges from getting jagged. But I'm telling if you make alot of cakes its worth it to go buy a few alphabet 'cookie' cutters. I got my main set at micheals (if you wait for the 50% off they are around $10) and a few sets online.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 5

A previous poster mentioned this already but I thought it worth mentioning again. Roll out your fondant, but then leave it (sometimes up to 20 min) until it starts drying a bit. Then when you got to cut it it doesn't stretch as easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%