How To Soften Fondant Figures?

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 1:24pm by pag41989

pag41989 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 4

Good morning everyone! My husband wants me to make a cake for one of his coworker friends who is leaving for a new job next week. I plan on making a two tiered cake and he wants something with tobasco sauce bottles on it so I was thinking of making something with chili peppers and tobasco sauce bottles all over the cake. However, I want to start on this cake tonight and I plan on using satin ice fondant and making oversized chili peppers draping off the side of each tier. The cake is for late next week and I am worried the figures are going to dry out too much and I wont be able to drape them over the cake like I want to once I am done baking and frosting the cake because the chili peppers are too stiff. Does anyone have any recommendations?

3 replies
erin12345 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 4

Try draping it over a cake dummy covererd with plastic wrap to dry then carefully move it to the real cake when needed.

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 4

Drying them on the edge of a cake pan will work too, if you don't have a cake dummy.

pag41989 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin12345

Try draping it over a cake dummy covererd with plastic wrap to dry then carefully move it to the real cake when needed.

Good idea! I don't know why I didn't think about that. I have TONS of cake dummies from a competition I was entered in. I ended up with severe morning sickness so I ended up having to withdraw from the competition though icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%