Tower Cake Style

Decorating By beth1 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 12:18pm by leah_s

beth1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth1 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:54am
post #1 of 2

I will be making a four tier wedding cake. The bride wants to use fresh flowers on top of each tier so there will be a separtion between each tier. The cake sizes are 14 inch, 12 inch, 10 inch and 8 inch. So..my question is a two parter. #1 What is the most stable support system for this type of cake?? and #2 Since she is using fresh flowers (roses) how do I keep them fresh. I have been looking at the Wilton Tower stand and also the hidden column stand. I have no problems with the column type as I used this many time for 3 tiers but never 4. I've never used the Tower Stand. She has a florist that will be arranging the flowers so I need to be able to have a stand she can work with. I think her florist is not very experienced and I have minimal floral experience. I'd appreciate all the advice I can get. Thanks.

1 reply
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 2

Use SPS. Get the multi-part legs and use one, 5" leg plus one, 2" extension. That provides 7" of leg, 4" of which is inside your cake and which creates 3" of airspace. It makes for a great proportion of cake to flowers.

As far as keeping the flowers fresh, don't worry about that one bit. The rose stems will be cut to about 3" and laid into the airspace with the ends of the stems sticking into the air toward the center of the cake. They won't be seen. you won't stick stems into the cake at all. And don't let the florist do that either.

Questions: The standard wedding cake top tier is 6". It's what commercial toppers are designed to look best on and what a florist will expect and bring flowers to cover. How many servings were you trying to get out of this cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%