Customer Refused To Pay!!!!!!

Lounge By ChilliPepper Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 12:06pm by costumeczar

ChilliPepper Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:58am
post #1 of 16

Forgive me for moaning and ranting but I have just had my first customer ever who has refused to pay for a cake! The price I charged her for my Tom & Jerry Cake is £28 which is my very basic price and I would normally have charged £32 as the cake had two gum paste models on it.

The cheeky skank who ordered it said I had quoted £18!!!!! Bare-faced lie as the lowest price I have ever charged for an 8" cake is £23!!!!

Unfortunately I was stupid and trusted this person as she is a neighbour of a very good friend and didn't take a deposit!!!! The word MUG springs to mind!

15 replies
Cricketina Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:10am
post #2 of 16

Wow how did you handle that? How awful for you...

ConfectionsCC Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:17am
post #3 of 16

No payment NO CAKE! I have in email, writing what have you, ever conversation between customer and caker IN SOME KIND OF WRITING. Not all bakeries and cakers believe that online orders are good, but it saves me the trouble of looking up info, and once its online, its public info and THEY CAN'T LIE AND HIDE!!! BWAHAHAHAHAH Okay, sorry for the evil laugh..just had to get that out..icon_biggrin.gif anyways..what did you say when she came to get her cake with out the proper payment?!!?!?!??! I have had this happen to me, but thank goodness she had her check book with her, and once I explained how much the cost of raw materials alone were, she was okay with giving me THE REAL price I quoted her! I am sorry this happened icon_sad.gif heart breaking!

Cakes-and-bakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:16am
post #4 of 16

ughhh i feel sick for you!!! this has happened to me before too and I wanted to cry!! now I only take payments in advance. Did you give her the cake for the price she wanted? take back the cake? what happened?

MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:33am
post #5 of 16

Not meaning to sound harsh, but if all you are charging is £28 for such beautiful, time consuming work, then yes, you *are* a mug! Time to get a back bone and realise your worth. Increasing your prices will also increase the calibre of your client base and a repeat of this situation is much less likely to happen! That cake from me would have cost her £75 minimum!!! I have no problems getting customers and 99% of them appreciate what they are getting. I really hope you walked away with the cake and didn't let her have it?!

Cakes-and-bakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 16

I have to agree with hunny about price raising. When i first started, I guess I thought if i was too expensive no one would order from me. Maybe cos I'm the type of person who cant afford a custom cake! but after about a year of working for almost nothing I had HAD IT. I raised my prices a LOT. I'm now one of the most expensive home bakers in town, but I know my worth. and guess what? business is BOOMING. I'm booked solid for the next month! And my clientelle are a bit classier and dont really even try to haggle.

dguerrant Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 16

this would have been my response...........

oooops, i dropped it!!!! I'm soooo sorry i tripped icon_redface.gif

NO PAY = NO CAKE!!!!! I would love to see someone's face, i've always wanted to do that icon_lol.gif

ChilliPepper Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 16

She didn't get the cake! Took it to a very good friend who has two poorly rug rats and we made lots of tea and hacked great big chunks out of it! Tasted good!!!!

Thanks for letting me moan!

CP xxxx

AnotherCaker Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 16

Laughed out loud at cheeky skank, love that. icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliPepper

She didn't get the cake! Took it to a very good friend who has two poorly rug rats and we made lots of tea and hacked great big chunks out of it! Tasted good!!!!

Thanks for letting me moan!

CP xxxx

Good for you! You certainly called her bluff. Now she has NO cake for having tried to take advantage of you.

That's certainly my rule--give me trouble about paying and I walk--WITH THE CAKE.

Rae

Lcubed82 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 16

Good for you, Chilipepper!!!

Candice56 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 16

Probably feels real good that you stood your ground and was not taken advantage of.

Irish245 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 16

I love it!!! But I want more!!! Tell us how she reacted when she didn't get her cake???

ChilliPepper Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:39am
post #14 of 16

She is not a happy bunny and spent a lot of wasted energy trying to ruin my reputation with people she knows who all gave her what for, the majority of replies being along the lines of, "You should be ashamed of yourself not paying the asking price for such a lovely cake." According to a friend of mine who knows her she has crawled back under her stone and stopped slating me as nobody was agreeing with her!

CP xxx

Monkess Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:53am
post #15 of 16

I am so glad that you did not give in....the cheek of people these daysicon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:06pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliPepper

She is not a happy bunny and spent a lot of wasted energy trying to ruin my reputation with people she knows who all gave her what for, the majority of replies being along the lines of, "You should be ashamed of yourself not paying the asking price for such a lovely cake." According to a friend of mine who knows her she has crawled back under her stone and stopped slating me as nobody was agreeing with her!

CP xxx

Hahahahahahaha!!! Exxxxxcellent...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%