A Fake Doberge Cake...can I??

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 9:44pm by bobwonderbuns

ConfectionsCC Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:45am
post #1 of 6

Sooooo...I found on Sharron's blog a while back her "feauxberge" cake recipe. I since have tweaked this recipe to what I like to do with cake flavors, fillings..etc...my question tonight would be...how can I offer this to my customers? I in NO WAY would EVER want to take credit for being the "original", or credit for being the "feaux" because I am not! I knew of the original NOLA cake, found the "feaux" recipe, and now, I have added my own flair, but I still do not feel its "my cake" and I have NO IDEA what to call it or how to market it!? Sharron, if you are reading PLEASE BUZZ IN! I need help with this because its sooo good it would be a shame to not tell customers about it!

5 replies
sugarshack Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:17am
post #2 of 6

maybe you can call it a modified doberge or some type of torte?

ConfectionsCC Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:41am
post #3 of 6

hmm a torte...yes..but I am scared of referring to it as a type of doberge cake...I like it enough I want to give it a name...but at the same time, I am scared of stealing someone else's thunder for the recipe!? I am all about giving the original credit for their ideas..guess I am maybe looking first for a blessing to use the idea...then suggestions on what to call it as I use it for my small home bakery icon_redface.gif

sugarshack Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 7:47am
post #4 of 6

oh u have my blesing to use it. I did not invent the doberge cake, lol

rowantree Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 6

Even the Doberge cake isn't an original!

"...Beulah Ledner opened a bakery in New Orleans in 1933. She became very successful after creating a Doberge cake adapted from the famous Hungarian/Austrian Dobos Cake, a cake made of nine génoise cake layers filled with buttercream and topped with a hard caramel glaze.[1] The doberge cake is based on a recipe originating in Alsace-Lorraine. Ledner replaced the buttercream filling of the Dobos Cake with a custard filling and iced the cakes with buttercream and a thin layer of fondant.[1]

Beulah Ledner's recipe is available in the cookbook, Let's bake with Beulah Ledner: A legendary New Orleans Lady by Maxine Wolchansky.[2]

In 1946 Joe Gambino bought the name, recipe and retail shop, including her recipe for doberge cake. After a couple of years of illness, she reopened in a new location on Metairie Road under the name "Beulah Ledner, Inc." As her business and popularity grew, her son, Albert, designed and built a new building and a new machine to mass produce sheet cakes using his mother's recipes. She opened her new bakery on May 21, 1970; she ran it until the age of 87 when she sold the shop and doberge recipe to Maurice's French Pastries, which is still in the business of baking and selling Doberge cakes in Metairie, Louisiana...."
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doberge_cake

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 6

Okay I'm clueless, what is a Doberge cake??? (Inquiring minds want to know!) icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%