How Far Before To Make A Cake

Decorating By loricakes Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 6:13am by labmom

loricakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:48am
post #1 of 3

I am making a chocolate cake for my sons birthday which is on a saturday. I was hoping to use a cream cheese filling and buttercream frosting. How far ahead can I make and decorate the cake without it spoiling or getting soggy? I can always do buttercream frosting for the filling but I prefer the cream cheese filling. I know regardless it needs to be in the fridge. I was hoping to make and decorate thursday night, but is 2 days ahead too far ahead?

2 replies
cakification Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:25am
post #2 of 3

Not at all! 2 days is perfectly fine, as lomg as you keep it in the fridge if it has cream cheese.

I bake cakes on monday or tuesday and freeze them until thursday when i start decorating.

labmom Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:13am
post #3 of 3

I agree.. I bake tuesdays and wednesdays (take mondays off to regroup) and then deorate thursday and friday .. monday holidays and friday events always throw me off
As long as it is kept cold with the cream cheese filling you should be fine. I am doing a red velvet with cream cheese filling and butter cream for my nephews grad part on saturday. It is baked (just) and I will be finishing it tomorow .. if I don't kill his mom first!
I have kept cupcakes frozen for about 2-3 weeks (leftover cupcakes) and then broght them out to seve to unexpected guests and they were just fine.
they only take a few minutes to defrost and then toss some frosting fruit or ice cream or whip cream on them.. what ever is on hand.
as long as it is a good freezer and your not talking in there a long time they are great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%