How Can I Make These Cupcakes More Moist?

Baking By singinglark Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 3:59am by FromScratchSF

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:45am
post #1 of 15

I made these cupcakes from Martha Stewart (http://www.marthastewart.com/316419/snickerdoodle-cupcakes) only I made my own cinnamon buttercream not the 7 minute frosting. They taste FABULOUS...but they are a little dry for me. How can I moisten them up a bit?

One thing I can think that I did do....I did not have cake flour so I used all AP flour, took 2 tbsp our and replaced with 2 tbsp cornstarch..could that have made the difference?

14 replies
warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:39am
post #2 of 15

Not having the cake flour probably did make a difference. I Know it's said taking out 2 tablespoons from a cup of AP flour will equal 1 cup cake flour, or to add 2 tablespoons corn starch to the AP flour as another option, but it's never going to be the exact same as following what the recipe says to use.
Recipes are tested using the ingredients listed as that's the ratio that worked the best after trail and error before publishing, tests so to speak. When you adjust/change the ingredients, especially the flour, you take the chance of the recipe not turning out the way it should.

How you measure your flour can make a difference too. If you scoop your measuring cup into the flour then level it off, you'll have more flour per cup that spooning the flour into the measuring cup and leveling it off.

Sorry your cuppies were dry, but look on the bright side.. You say they taste good even though they're a bit dry.. All you need to do now is remake them with the right ingredients, and they'll taste awesome! thumbs_up.gif

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:05am
post #3 of 15

You can simple syrup your cupcakes after they come out of the oven. Equal parts water to sugar and if you want you can flavor it also.

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:06am
post #4 of 15

also, depending on your elevation, you may need to adjust the temperature or time, or even add a bit more liquid to the batter

vickym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickym Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 15

one trick I was told which has resulted in all my cupcakes being much more moist is instead of adding the whole of the egg at once, seperate the egg whites and whisk to soft peaks then when the receipe says add the eggs just add the yokes. After adding the flour, fold in the egg whites it add much more air into your mixture. It works for me anyway and I have never had a problem with my cupcakes being dry since changing to this method. xx

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 15

You should have taken 2 T of flour out first. That will make the AP equal the weight of cake flour. Then after that you take out another 10% in weight in AP flour and add back in 10% of the corn starch. You are probably not using a scale, so just go with 2T of cornstarch and take out 4T of AP flour.

Stir for 30 seconds, whip for another 30 seconds and then sift 5 times. Yes, all of that. You need to thoroughly mix in the corn starch with the flour.

MrsAC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAC Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 15

I add one package of dry pudding mix to all my cake/cupcake batter and have had many compliments on how moist my cakes are! Just use a complimentary flavor to whatever cake flavor you are making.

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 15

I add a package of dream whip and a little extra oil or butter to every recipe that I use. It always makes for a very moist cake.

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAC

I add one package of dry pudding mix to all my cake/cupcake batter and have had many compliments on how moist my cakes are! Just use a complimentary flavor to whatever cake flavor you are making.

I do this quite often in my recipes and always have people tell me how moist my cake is. Perhaps just a box of vanilla pudding would do the trick.

indy5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indy5 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 12:03am
post #10 of 15

i add sourcream that works as well

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 12:37am
post #11 of 15

I made snickerdoodle cupcakes twice. I used cake flour and mine too were dry. I think its the cinnamon taking the moisture away. After my first attempt I told myself that I would need to add sour cream the second time, well I forgot. So on the second attempt they were dry again. My third attempt I will definately remember, 3rd time a charm.

I used a cream cheese cinnamon frosting. So delicious, I wanted to eat just the icing.

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:59am
post #12 of 15

Thanks, everyone! I'll give some of these a try.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:09am
post #13 of 15

I've made that recipe too and mine were dry, I also think it's from the cinnamon. They are also really easy to overbake which makes it worse. Martha has some great recipes, but I personally don't think this is one of them.

Now if I want a cinnamon cake I just use my regular vanilla cake recipe and sub out equal parts of flour to cinnamon and get perfect results. Little cream cheese SMBC and nom nom.

Jen

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:26am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I've made that recipe too and mine were dry, I also think it's from the cinnamon. They are also really easy to overbake which makes it worse. Martha has some great recipes, but I personally don't think this is one of them.

Now if I want a cinnamon cake I just use my regular vanilla cake recipe and sub out equal parts of flour to cinnamon and get perfect results. Little cream cheese SMBC and nom nom.

Jen

Wow, how much cinnamon was in the recipe? I think I'll have to visit MS site and check it out.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:59am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Wow, how much cinnamon was in the recipe? I think I'll have to visit MS site and check it out.

I not too much but I think the base recipe is flawed. I only made it once, then went back to my recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%