Lustre Dust Question

Business By mena2002 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 12:33am by mena2002

mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 13

I was wondering how you apply a smooth coat of silver lustre dust to your fondant piece? Everytime I paint on the lustre it looks streaky, and the more I try to paint over it to get an even coat it seems to get worse.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Any help is appreciated icon_smile.gif

12 replies
idgalpal Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 13

Are you dusting it on dry with a big fluffy brush or are you painting it on using liquid (lemon extract, vodka etc.)
When I brush it on dry with a big brush it doesn't seem to streak.

mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 13

I mix it with vodka and brush it on.

I tried it dry (silver) on white fondant but it doesn't look silver, it just looks like the white is shimmery.

pbhobby Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 13

You may be mixing it too thin. I like to use vodka but it only takes a few drops.

mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhobby

You may be mixing it too thin. I like to use vodka but it only takes a few drops.

Oh wow, I use alot more then a couple drops..

About how much of lustre should I put in?

tia icon_smile.gif

Lita829 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 13

I mix the lustre dust with enough clear vanilla extract to make it the consistency of slightly thinned nail polish.

HTH

mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

I mix the lustre dust with enough clear vanilla extract to make it the consistency of slightly thinned nail polish.

HTH

Thanks I'm gonna try that!

I'm painting some bows I made and it seems to take away from the hard work that I put into making the bows when the coloring looks so horrible.

I'm so glad I got so many great tips from you guys icon_smile.gif Thank you guys for all your help.

Lita829 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:09am
post #8 of 13

You're welcome! I'm happy that I could help. That's what we all are here for icon_smile.gif

pbhobby Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:12am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

HTH

I agree, about the consistency of nail polish. I've used luster dust a lot and have had the best luck with vodka. As the acohol starts to evaporate you can start to add a few drops back in to keep the consistency. A medicine dropper works well.

mena2002 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:14am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhobby

I agree, about the consistency of nail polish. I've used luster dust a lot and have had the best luck with vodka. As the acohol starts to evaporate you can start to add a few drops back in to keep the consistency. A medicine dropper works well.

medicine dropper is a good idea thumbs_up.gif now to go check my medicine cabinet icon_wink.gif

southerncross Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:23am
post #11 of 13

Great advice. I gave up trying to paint with wet luster dust because I couldn't make it come out right. I put a lot of vodka in the dust ...and equal parts in me.

I ended up dry dusting it on with a soft brush then steaming the pieces (mostly flowers and leafs) briefly over the kettle. But of course, it the piece were already on the cake, I was out of luck... Thanks again for the tips.

pbhobby Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:29am
post #12 of 13

[quote="southerncross"] I put a lot of vodka in the dust ...and equal parts in me.

]

lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Caking will do that to ya!

mena2002 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:33am
post #13 of 13

[quote="pbhobby"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I put a lot of vodka in the dust ...and equal parts in me.

]

lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Caking will do that to ya!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%