Lustre Dust Question

Business By mena2002 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 12:33am by mena2002

mena2002  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 13

I was wondering how you apply a smooth coat of silver lustre dust to your fondant piece? Everytime I paint on the lustre it looks streaky, and the more I try to paint over it to get an even coat it seems to get worse.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Any help is appreciated icon_smile.gif

12 replies
 idgalpal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 13

Are you dusting it on dry with a big fluffy brush or are you painting it on using liquid (lemon extract, vodka etc.)
When I brush it on dry with a big brush it doesn't seem to streak.

mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 13

I mix it with vodka and brush it on.

I tried it dry (silver) on white fondant but it doesn't look silver, it just looks like the white is shimmery.

pbhobby  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbhobby Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 13

You may be mixing it too thin. I like to use vodka but it only takes a few drops.

mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhobby

You may be mixing it too thin. I like to use vodka but it only takes a few drops.

Oh wow, I use alot more then a couple drops..

About how much of lustre should I put in?

tia icon_smile.gif

Lita829  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 13

I mix the lustre dust with enough clear vanilla extract to make it the consistency of slightly thinned nail polish.

HTH

mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

I mix the lustre dust with enough clear vanilla extract to make it the consistency of slightly thinned nail polish.

HTH

Thanks I'm gonna try that!

I'm painting some bows I made and it seems to take away from the hard work that I put into making the bows when the coloring looks so horrible.

I'm so glad I got so many great tips from you guys icon_smile.gif Thank you guys for all your help.

Lita829  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:09am
post #8 of 13

You're welcome! I'm happy that I could help. That's what we all are here for icon_smile.gif

pbhobby Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:12am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

HTH

I agree, about the consistency of nail polish. I've used luster dust a lot and have had the best luck with vodka. As the acohol starts to evaporate you can start to add a few drops back in to keep the consistency. A medicine dropper works well.

mena2002 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:14am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhobby

I agree, about the consistency of nail polish. I've used luster dust a lot and have had the best luck with vodka. As the acohol starts to evaporate you can start to add a few drops back in to keep the consistency. A medicine dropper works well.

medicine dropper is a good idea thumbs_up.gif now to go check my medicine cabinet icon_wink.gif

southerncross  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:23am
post #11 of 13

Great advice. I gave up trying to paint with wet luster dust because I couldn't make it come out right. I put a lot of vodka in the dust ...and equal parts in me.

I ended up dry dusting it on with a soft brush then steaming the pieces (mostly flowers and leafs) briefly over the kettle. But of course, it the piece were already on the cake, I was out of luck... Thanks again for the tips.

pbhobby Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:29am
post #12 of 13

[quote="southerncross"] I put a lot of vodka in the dust ...and equal parts in me.

]

lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Caking will do that to ya!

mena2002 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:33am
post #13 of 13

[quote="pbhobby"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I put a lot of vodka in the dust ...and equal parts in me.

]

lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Caking will do that to ya!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%