Please Help!!! Strawberry Cake.....what Would You Use?

Decorating By KendrasCakes1 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 10:56pm by warchild

KendrasCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KendrasCakes1 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a graduation cake for a friend, she asked for a vanilla cake with strawberry filling. I want to add fondant accents. What type of frosting should I use? Buttercream, whipped cream or should I cover the whole cake with MM fondant? Any input will be very helpful. Thanks!!!

5 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 6

Did your friend ask for butter cream or fondant? See what they want and go from there.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with sari. Ask.. I'm surprised your friend didn't say what she wanted in the first place, unless she said she'd leave that up to you.

KendrasCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KendrasCakes1 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

I agree with sari. Ask.. I'm surprised your friend didn't say what she wanted in the first place, unless she said she'd leave that up to you.

She is leaving it up to me, the thing is, its my first time making a strawberry filled cake (I usually only bake for my kids b-days) and I don't want flavors to clash.

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 6

I did a strawberry filled cake for my friends baby shower and used the normal buttercream recipe I use and covered in fondant, it was really good and the strawberry brought it something special

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendrasCakes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

She is leaving it up to me, the thing is, its my first time making a strawberry filled cake (I usually only bake for my kids b-days) and I don't want flavors to clash.

In that case the first thing I'd think about is what cake you have made, frosted or covered in fondant, or whipped cream, does your friend like the most, and go for that. Vanilla cake with strawberry filling will go with all three quite nicely.

That said, if it was me, I'd go for the whipped cream and decorate the cake top and sides with more strawberries, and add shaved chocolate to finish. I'd also have a big bowl of lightly sugared strawberries on the table for guests to help themselves as many guests like to spoon extra strawberries onto their piece of cake.

But.... that would only be if the whipped cream covered cake was to be eaten right away, and of course, if the cake is not the typical decorated cake. If you're going to decorate it like your usual cakes, you'd be better off using fondant or buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%