Monogram Letters

Decorating By silkydoglover Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 2:26am by jules5000

silkydoglover Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 9

I want to place 3 monogram letters on the top of an 8"cake. What should I use to make these letters. My free hand is not that great. Do I trace the letters on something? Please help.

8 replies
cakegirl1973 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 9

I would trace the letters with royal icing, let the letters harden and place them on the cake. Make several, because ri is very fragile and you should have back-up letters in case one breaks. Good luck!

silkydoglover Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you, that's a good thought.

BakerAnn Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 9

Have you considered rolling out fondant or candy clay, then cutting them out using tappits? Makes perfect letters.

nanefy Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 9

Pastillage is great for this - I've just made one for my fathers day cake. I just printed out the word 'Dad' and then cut it out and then dampened my pastillage with water which makes the paper stick to it slightly, then used an exacto knife to cut round the shape. My letters are pretty thick, like a quarter inch and I've painted them (now that they are dry) with vodka and gel colouring, and whilst still wet sprinkled glitter on them and they look fab!!

BakerAnn Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerAnn

Have you considered rolling out fondant or candy clay, then cutting them out using tappits? Makes perfect letters.

I just re-read the original post and feel like a dunce. icon_redface.gif I took it that the OP was laying the letters flat but realize she wants them to stand upright. Of course it would have to be Royal Icing or something similar!!

nanefy Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 12:57am
post #7 of 9

Here is the letters I did using the method I explained above:

[img]Image
Fathers Day Cake by nanefy, on Flickr[/img]

southerncross Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 1:51am
post #8 of 9

I make my monogram initials out of cut pastillage too. They are rolled about 1/4 inch thick and it's much stronger than sugarpaste. I too print out the initials on the computer using wide varieties of fonts to chose from. place the paper on the rolled out pastillage and cut with exacto knife. I insert short plastic sticks into the base of the letter before it dries and those help to stand the letters up right on the finished cake.

jules5000 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:26am
post #9 of 9

nanefy, I have heard pasitillage is not hard to make, but are the ingredients easy to get? I tried to make Cho. letters one time for this and it didn't work,but I have some ideas of how to make it work, but your Dad is very pretty. and so is your whole cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%