My Rant, The Cricut Cake Cutting Machine..

Decorating By JPMitchell Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 6:45pm by JPMitchell

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 12:38am
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiel

cricuit's just another 'fad' the 'cookie-cutterness of it will get old like so many other thing in the cake world. remember when edible images were all the rage? stay put, this too shall pass, that's my theory. little imperfections on a cake that's hand crafted are 100% better than a 'cookie cutter' cake. just my opinion.

Fondant is a fad too but people are still using it.

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:11am
post #32 of 54

fondant has been around forever, used in england way before 'we adopted' it. fondant has/is wearing well. relatively inexpensive, beautiful to look at, lends itself to many applications making it very practical and pays itself off many times over for the investment.
cricuit, a machine that has initial cost and continued cost. by the time the cost comes down for the accessories to be affordable by the average person, people will have tired of the perfection of it. perfect, scrollwork, perfect swirls, perfect damask...all too perfect from where i'm sitting. like a computer, always going to need updating, by the time you've invested lotsa money, something new will come along and make your stuff extinct.
like i said this is my opinion, i'm entitled. keep your skill current, don't let yourself get dated and don't rely on a machine to do your work for you. dependence on a machine is not really advancing your cake skills, it's creating a dependency on a machine. just my opinion. not the holy grail, not trying to offend, but sincere for me.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:22am
post #33 of 54

I just bought the cricut cake was just wondering if I can use the same cartridges I use for my scrapbooking cricut? Also what is SCAL?

tiggy2 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:48am
post #34 of 54

To each thier own. If you don't want to use a machine then don't, but don't berate others that may use it. BC has also been around forever but unfortunately you don't see many people decorating only with BC any more. Times change as well as the way things are done. I personally don't see the difference between a machine doing the cutting in mutiples or an individual cutter cutting one at a time, just my opinion.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:55am
post #35 of 54

Yes ailika... you can. Some images work better than others when it comes to caking.

gigiel Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:19am
post #36 of 54

excuse me tiggy2, i re-read my posts and if you're addressing me, i didn't see anything i wrote that berated others. i stated twice that this was my opinion. whew. if you like that sort of look, more power to you. i don't know you and this is not a personal thing. just liked the topic & came to read. i've been doing this for 30 years, seen many things come and go. lotsa machines have come and gone too. some have stayed around, some have not. this is not for me personally. i loved it when it 1st came out, but already tired of it. glad i didn't/won't be investing the dollars for what is easily accomplished with a little ingenuity. it's been out a while, i'm sure you know. some people like cake mixes, some like scratch, it wouldn't be berating either to say in my opinion, i prefer... (insert one.) what i know to be true is this, the only thing that's constant is change. peace out. all others reading this disregard anything that might deter u from cake central forum, including anything that peep might get feelings hurt over whether me or others saying it. they're like no other. cake world is no place for bullies. = )

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:48am
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiel

cricuit's just another 'fad' the 'cookie-cutterness of it will get old like so many other thing in the cake world. remember when edible images were all the rage? stay put, this too shall pass, that's my theory. little imperfections on a cake that's hand crafted are 100% better than a 'cookie cutter' cake. just my opinion.

I agree, the CRICUT CAKE is a fad!!! In fact, it probably won't be around much longer. All the stores that were carrying it have discontinued the machine. The use of electronic cutters for cake decorating will be with us for a long time.(The machine I prefer is the Silhouette) The younger people love technology and are the ones who are excited to use their computers to create the designs for their own cakes. I use my cutter in my business on a daily basis. My clients don't care if I cut the little flowers, circles or other designs out with a metal cutter or if I use my machine. They only care that their cake looks amazing and I am glad that I can cut the designs out much quicker. After my initial investment, I haven't spent any more money because my machine doesn't require cartridges. I can cut any design I want for free, no need to buy any more metal or plastic cutters.
Not only are edibel images still very popular, icing images has a new icing sheet just for the electronic cutters. Just my opinion.

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:08am
post #38 of 54

I usually find good deals on them from amazon.com =)

gigiel Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #39 of 54

as far as i know, linda mcclure came out with this (or something like) years ago. this is not new. it just looks so 'machine done.' seems to take the heart out of it. when you(i) first look at those cakes, i think, wow, this is awesome, but the more i look at them the more i think, machine done. it seems to take some of the personality out of them. if you have cut your decorating time down substantially with this, do you reduce the cost of the cake accordingly? or do you charge more becaus you think it's better? art is subject to scrutiny. what makew a cake art? i wouldn't want to pay as much for a cake where everything is hand done (duff or christopher garren) as i would an assembly line cake. instant and convenient isn't always better. cake decorating will still be around (with new trends) way after the cricut is gone.

gigiel Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:13am
post #40 of 54

just my humble opinion. : )

tiggy2 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:42am
post #41 of 54

I too was just stating my opinion, sorry if you consider that bullying. Have a nice evening.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:32pm
post #42 of 54

gigiel... I use to worry when I started Icing Images 12 years ago that people would think slapping a picture on a cake has no talent. 12 years later, by business is stronger than ever and now decorators are realizing that you can do so much more than printing a picture and slapping it on a cake!!!! Lately we have been running ad features in various magazines showing many ways you can use imaging without loosing the level of talent that you have a decorator. In fact Julie Bashore who is a world renown cake decorator with credentials that are a mile long is now so excited over it, she is coming out with new ways to use it as just another tool. It doesnt do her job by no means, it is just one of many tools she uses to decorate a cake. The same is true with the electronic cutters. Yes, you can decorate cakes completely using the cutter. IT saves time and money doing it that way and it defienatly does take talent to plan everything and it has a spectacular result. Or, if you are looking to use it as one of many tools you will find new ways to apply it to your cakes and push your cakes and talents to a whole new level.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:57pm
post #43 of 54

I love the cricut - I was just using it last night. I don't use it so much for decorating the cake, but rather cutting multiple items. Quinceanera butterfly cakes are all the rage right now here.

If you think edible images or cutting machine will make you a decorator, then the cake will look machine made. BUT if you see this new technology are new art tools, then the cake will look like a piece of art.

tiggy2 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:27pm
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I love the - I was just using it last night. I don't use it so much for decorating the cake, but rather cutting multiple items. Quinceanera butterfly cakes are all the rage right now here.

If you think edible images or cutting machine will make you a decorator, then the cake will look machine made. BUT if you see this new technology are new art tools, then the cake will look like a piece of art.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif My point exactly!!!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:35pm
post #45 of 54

I love my cricut... I don't think my "sun" cake in the gallery would have turned out as nice if I had to cut all the circles out by hand... plus I was able to work on the cake itself while the circles were cut out!

I use mine mostly for lettering, and getting something like a circle or square to be an exact size. I am doing a lego themed cake in a few days and plan on using it to cut out my blocks!

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:52pm
post #46 of 54

Thanks for the tips, I just bought the cricut and this would definately help.

gigiel Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:36pm
post #47 of 54

we 'cakers' a passionate bunch. : )
icingimages, there are some nice new uses out there for that product. (icing images) fun with multiple, endless uses. Not a lot of expense and no added expensive parts to buy, & no worries about this product becoming obsolete and no place to get additions if it does go obsolete.
and i can see how planning a layout on a cake might constitute art on a different level (?) (more like scrapbooking or doing a layout for a school yearbook.) it would require an eye for aesthetics. don't know if planning a layout is art. it's more like if you are a methodical planner you can lay this stuff on a cake. because i think a certain pattern is pretty doesn't mean that thousands of that pattern will make a cake prettier. it would take an eye for sure to not go into a gaudy or overkill look. i seriously considered buying a cricut (or silouette (sp?)) i personally don't like a lot of 'things' taking up a lot of room i.e. a machine and a lot of parts to keep up with. (more of a minimalist, not a fanatical minimalist, just don't have time/place for clutter that i've researched and decided is not for me) even if they go on deep discount, just don't think the finished 'look' is for me. nothing personal to anyone out there. that's what makes this forum so wonderful, peep of all levels of talent with all levels of skill in one community! lotta respect for that. thank you cake central. differing opinions are what keeps it 'real.' haha

and ccr03 "If you think edible images or cutting machine will make you a decorator, then the cake will look machine made. BUT if you see this new technology are new art tools, then the cake will look like a piece of art." touche! valid point.

just a personal opinion, people will make up their own minds.
i don't have an agenda and have nothing to sell or to 'berate'. only my personal observations. we are all individuals with different styles and skills and talents. power to the cakes!

bonniekaye Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

gigiel... I use to worry when I started Icing Images 12 years ago that people would think slapping a picture on a cake has no talent. 12 years later, by business is stronger than ever and now decorators are realizing that you can do so much more than printing a picture and slapping it on a cake!!!! Lately we have been running ad features in various magazines showing many ways you can use imaging without loosing the level of talent that you have a decorator. In fact Julie Bashore who is a world renown cake decorator with credentials that are a mile long is now so excited over it, she is coming out with new ways to use it as just another tool. It doesnt do her job by no means, it is just one of many tools she uses to decorate a cake. The same is true with the electronic cutters. Yes, you can decorate cakes completely using the cutter. IT saves time and money doing it that way and it defienatly does take talent to plan everything and it has a spectacular result. Or, if you are looking to use it as one of many tools you will find new ways to apply it to your cakes and push your cakes and talents to a whole new level.

Icing Images, I love your products and use them all the time. I really like the new chocolate icing sheets. I have been able to make some beautiful cakes using my electronic cutter and icing sheets. Your icing sheets are amazing when I use my print and cut feature of my Silhouette. My customers love how creative I can be with their cakes and I love how easy it is for me.

ailika Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:51am
post #49 of 54

Oh Great! I bought my cricut cake 2 months ago & still haven't used it & after reading all these post I regret spending the money I'm still left with one last payment on it (HSN) LOL

ailika Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:53am
post #50 of 54

Oh thank you pinkpiggie78

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:27am
post #51 of 54

My sis and I were discussing these cutting machines recently. She isn't a caker but a quilter. I was explaining how this is "cheating" in the art of decorating. She explained how the sewing machine was frowned upon when it entered the world of hand quilting. According to her, now it is just a staple of quilting. When people say," I quilted this myself", no one thinks less of that person for using a machine. She has a valid point. Still holding off on the purchase too, but only for now.

Cakegirl74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl74 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:37am
post #52 of 54

I am an avid scrapbooker and have had a Silhouette for years and I love it. Even before the Cricut Cake came out I have thought it would have been great if I could use my Silhouette for my cakes. I've never liked the idea of having to buy all of those cartridges for the Cricut but the Silhouette you only buy the designs you want for about a dollar and you can use loads of free fonts off the Internet.

Am I understanding correctly that you can use the Silhouette for fondant and gumpaste? I am loving that idea, I would even buy one of the new ones to use just for food if that is true.

bonniekaye Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:14pm
post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakegirl74

I am an avid scrapbooker and have had a Silhouette for years and I love it. Even before the Cake came out I have thought it would have been great if I could use my Silhouette for my cakes. I've never liked the idea of having to buy all of those cartridges for the but the Silhouette you only buy the designs you want for about a dollar and you can use loads of free fonts off the Internet.

Am I understanding correctly that you can use the Silhouette for fondant and gumpaste? I am loving that idea, I would even buy one of the new ones to use just for food if that is true.

Visit this blog at www. creative designs for cakes .blogspot.com to see what you can do with your Silhouette. You can use the machine you have, you just need the cake package with the new blade, and you get the DVD showing how to use your Silhouette.

JPMitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPMitchell Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:45pm
post #54 of 54

ailika I so know what you mean!!! Bought mine last summer and was super excited, but I never really used it! I've been looking for my USB cord for it to plug it into the computer to see what I could figure out. icon_sad.gif I sooo wish I would have bought a silhouette..... Oh the regret! I just hope this posting will help people who are looking for a machine cutter! I will fess up one of these days and buy a silhouette..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%