New With Questions

Decorating By KISSES-AND-KUPCAKES22 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 5:28am by ConfectionsCC

KISSES-AND-KUPCAKES22 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys im fairly new at decorating and I guess im ok at it but i really enjoy it. So a couple questions..

1. Does anyone have a buttercream icing kind of like safeways bakery icing?? i have a buttercream recipie very popular but i think it tastes alot like shortening. i tried to add more butter less shortening and it didnt turn out so well.. lol so help with this would be appriciated..

2.I have an icing tip but how does everyone smooth their icing?? has anyone tried an icing smoother?? i was thinking about buying one..

3. Adding flowers to cakes.. how do i do this i no they have funnels to put in the cake but do u just set the flowers in it??

Thanks so much with everyones help =)(=

3 replies
jawalk Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 4

Read the Forum and Articles and they will answer all your questions. We all started in the same place. Good luck and keep practicing

BakerAnn Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:59am
post #3 of 4

One of the most valuable learning sources for making and smoothing buttercream is the DVD "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" available from Sharon Zambito's

Butter will make your icing softer and more difficult to work with. Most of us use some sort of Hi Ratio shortening which is created especially for icing. It will make a huge difference in eliminating that greasy taste that Crisco leaves. You can always add butter flavor if that is the taste you prefer.

Welcome to Cake Central, the most addicting site on the Internet!!

ConfectionsCC Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:28am
post #4 of 4

Welcome to CC!!! THE BEST WEBSITE IN-THE-WORLD!!! As another user said, check out Sharon Zambito's dvds, if you can not afford them being you are a beginner, try checking with your library, if they do not have them I am sure they can get them! Mine did and boy was it worth the 6 week wait! I use her Buttercream recipe and its DELICIOUS and super fluffy! I think what you generally think of as "bakery" buttercream would be like grocery store buttercreams, which are pre made and shipped to the store in a large 35lbs if you want that taste, but for me, I like the taste of home-made and spending a little extra $$ per lbs of icing makes a difference...really. If you can find it, but a hi-ratio shortening in a commercial kitchen store or bakery store. Sometimes bakeries are willing to sell these types of products, in my area, there is a local store that all the restaurants and bakeries buy from, and, lastly if you can not get this stuff local, there online stores like cake supply that have great prices that can get these professional products to you, even at home1

Quote by @%username% on %date%