White Buttercream Questions

Decorating By jewelsq Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 5:27am by akgirl10

jewelsq Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 11

Since I use all butter in my buttercream the color is never truly white. I'm doing a wedding cake in October that I'd like to get truly white. I'm guessing that I'll have to add a whole lot of "icing white" to it? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

In a perfect world, not only could I get it white, but I'd love to give it a shimmer/sheen. Can I add luster dust right to the buttercream in the mixer? Again, I'd love any other suggestions.

I do have an airbrush. The bride would like a dotted swiss look, the dots being silver. I can suggest dragees or I imagine I would hand paint the dots silver/luster dust.

This cake seems to have more issues since it's buttercream, not fondant.
thanks in advance!

10 replies
mrsmac888 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 11

Hi. I've had the same problem with getting my bc white, I use half butter, half Crisco. I've found that if I add a VERY small amount of violet food coloring to the bc, it comes to a truer color of white.

As for the other questions, I'll leave those the the "pros".

Christina

proudmommaof3 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 11

Use "white white" while mixing...I usually add quite a bit and it works great. You can get it from Michaels.

stlcakelady Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 11

I also use white/white from Michaels or a cake supply store. It really makes the cake WHITE. Just make sure you buy enough. I use a whole bottle for my buttercream which I make with all butter and powdered sugar in 2 batches at a time (2 lbs. butter, 2 bags pow. sug).

mandyloo Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 11

I don't believe it works to add luster dust straight to the icing while mixing, it just blends right in, in my experience.

dmo4ab Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 11

Americolor makes a pearl sheen airbrush colors Maybe you could airbrush the entire cake in that to achieve the shine.

crisseyann Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 11

I have also heard of adding just the tiniest amount of violet coloring to your icing, as mrsmac stated. The violet is supposed to offset the yellowish color you are getting.

stlcakelady Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 11

I've used the violet in a pinch, but it kinda gives you a dingy color. The white/white works much better. I've also used the pearl airbrush and it works great.

heartsnsync Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 11

I used "white - white" in order to rid real butter cream of the ivory tinge and it took a lot of it to do it and it can change the consistency of the butter cream. That stuff is not cheap so I had to come up with a better way to do this because I really like the idea of using butter in butter cream and yet want to get a really white icing for wedding cakes.

So, I now use the barest amount of violet and it works perfectly. The trick is to add very, very little, mix well and then let it sit over night. It is not an immediate fix but takes a bit of time to do it. If you rush it and add too much you will come up with what the other poster said was a "dingy" white. I just uploaded a picture of a cake using this method. As you can see, it is very white.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2069281

Overambitious Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 11

You can also used Powered Vanilla. It comes white and not brown.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/vanilla-powder-25-oz

http://cooksvanilla.com

I believe James Roselle uses this. I heard him mention it on a Q&A the other day.

akgirl10 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:27am
post #11 of 11

I notice my butter gets pretty white if I beat the tar out of it. I would go the white white route, but you do need to add quite a bit.

If you don't want to buy the americolor stuff, I've mixed lustre dust with a small amount of vodka and used that in my airbrush with great results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%