Ribbons For Cake Boards

Business By mena2002 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 4:41am by mena2002

mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:10am
post #1 of 9

I was wondering where everyone gets their ribbon to wrap around their cake boards?

I want to spruce up my boards and stop covering them in plain old foil.

Also what is the best way to cover the boards in fondant? Cover in fondant then place the cake on and decorate or decorate the cake then cover the board around the cake?

Any help is appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
BlueMoon73 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:29am
post #2 of 9

I get a lot of my ribbon at Michael's in the $1 bin! Also I find it at the Dollar Store or Walmart, I get it when I find it cheap so I have it on hand. As for covering you cake board in fondant I have only done it once, covered the entire thing and let it sit for a day or two. Came out great!

Dreme Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:30am
post #3 of 9

I just get my ribbon from Walmart or from Michaels. 5/8" is the width I use for my drums. Double sided is what I use to adhere.

You can do either method for covering the drum. For me the fastest way is to roll out a thin sheet of fondant large enough to cover the drum. I adhere the fondant to the drum with a thin layer of piping gel along the edges of the drum. I take a cardboard the size of the cake, place it where I want my cake to sit, and cut around it and pull the piece of fondant out. I then just place my cake in the open space on the drum.

I used to cut out a long strip then roll it around the drum but that didn't always work as I sometimes place my cakes off center or use square drums. The above method ended up working better for me.

Hope that helps.

dukeswalker Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:41am
post #4 of 9

I pick up ribbon wherever I can...when covering a cake base - I take 3 rounds and alternate the ridges on them so the ridges criss cross (making it sturdier). I tape around the edges about 12-16 different places. Then I roll my fondant out and mist the boards with water. I smooth on the fondant same way I would a cake and trim the edges. Then I take piping gel and paint a thin coating around the edge and attach the ribbon.

mena2002 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 7:12am
post #5 of 9

Thanks guys for all the great tips! Now my boards aren't going to be so dull looking. icon_smile.gif

dchockeyguy Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 9

Michaels when they are on sale is my place to go!

2xMiMi Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 9

This may seem like a silly question but.. What boards do you put ribbons on? I can see on the drums with the wider edge but for the regular cake boards or foam core boards they seem really narrow unless you have used several layers? I am a hobbyist and mainly due for my grandchildren's birthdays so I use wrapping paper with clear on top for theirs. Just curious.. icon_smile.gif

Denise Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:19am
post #8 of 9

I buy ribbon at WalMart, Hobby Lobby or Micheal's. I have a plethora of colors - but I do use quiet a bit of ivory, black or brown for wedding and groom's cakes.

As for covering the boards, I always cover my boards in fondant or chocolate or buttercream. I make my cakes right on the board and then paint piping gel on it. I lay out strips of fondant and roll my JEM veining tool to give it a watered silk look. I generally luster dust it as well for wedding cakes. I will also melt white chocolate and paint the chocolate with lusterdust and everclear for a look of satin. For grooms cakes and certain birthday cakes I will use buttercream to make the decoration on the boards. I haven't used foil in years!

mena2002 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:41am
post #9 of 9

Denise: Your cakes are gorgeous! and I love how your boards add to the look of the cake. I definitely have to start decorating my boards too, looking at my pictures and the foil look definitely detracts from the overall look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%