Strawberry Buttercream

Baking By JustGettinStarted Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 3:37pm by HappyCake10609

JustGettinStarted Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:55am
post #1 of 9

Hi, I'd love to make some strawberry buttercream, but don't know the best way to go about doing it. I want to be able to swirl it on some cupcakes, so it needs to be firm enough for that. Any suggestions or do you have a favorite strawberry? What's better fresh strawberries, frozen, or jarred preserves?

8 replies
Elcee Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:07am
post #2 of 9

I just replace the liquid in my regular bc with pureed, deseeded strawberries. I use the "no sugar added" frozen ones. It's really, really good icon_biggrin.gif and you can definitely pipe a swirl with it.

HappyCake10609 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:19am
post #3 of 9

I've done it with pureed fresh strawberries (as mentioned above, just replace the liquid in your recipe). But lately I've just been adding a good quality strawberry preserves to my regular buttercream recipe and it comes out soooo yummy. Just add it to taste, but I add maybe 1/4-1/3 C to one batch of buttercream? And yes, you can pipe a swirl with it!

JustGettinStarted Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 9

HappyCake, when using the strawberry preserves do you still use it in place of the liquid portion?

cakesmart Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 9

I've tried it with strawberry extract, but the frosting was too sweet. The strawberry preserves sounds delish..I will definitely use them next time.

ddaigle Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 9

I add SEEDLESS strawberry jam to my regular buttercream.

JustGettinStarted Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 9

Any certain brands you all prefer? I always eat Smuckers, so don't know if there is something better. Also, is this always in place of the liquid? Goingto use Indydebi's buttercream for it I believe. Will that work?

ddaigle Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 9

There is only one brand of seedless jam in my store. Not sure who makes it.

HappyCake10609 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGettinStarted

Any certain brands you all prefer? I always eat Smuckers, so don't know if there is something better. Also, is this always in place of the liquid? Goingto use Indydebi's buttercream for it I believe. Will that work?

Sorry, I didn't see your question before!

No, when I add the preserves/jam to my buttercream I don't use it in place of the liquid, I just add it after the buttercream is made (on the thick side), then add my preserves and add a little more liquid if necessary. And Indydebi's buttercream recipe is the one I use when I don't use SMBC.

As far as the brand, Trappist is a good brand, the one I typically use I can't remember the name, but it has a red and white checkerboard lid and looks like you might buy it at a farmers market. I believe it is a french import, but I think it's available at most grocery stores. I like using the preserves because you can see the bits of fruit!

Hope that helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%