Corn Syrup Trouble

Baking By Cream Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 3:46pm by LindaF144a

Cream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cream Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

i made a batch of corn syrup today (we can't get it over here). It looked fab once it was cooked but looking at it now in its clear jar there is a swirl of white in it! After further investigation it is small grains of sugar in some of the batch! Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Will it still be ok to use in a caramel recipe i want to make?

Thanks all x x

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:28am
post #2 of 7

How do you make corn syrup?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cream Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 8:52am
post #3 of 7

Hi Theresa,

basically corn syrup is made with 2 cups of white sugar, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, 3/4 cup of water and a pinch of salt.

Place all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to boil stirrinf until sugar dissolves. I use a pastry brush with a little bit of water to brush the sugar grannules off the side of the saucepan at this stage too. Then leave to simmer with a candy thermometer until syrup reaches the soft ball stage (235-245 degrees F).
Then remove from heat and allow to cool and put into jar or airtight container icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:01am
post #4 of 7

Cream,
The sugar is recrystalizing. Somehow, all the sugar crystals were not dissolved in the original cooking process.

Cream Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 7

hi leah_s

yup i figured that might be the case icon_smile.gif I kust need to know if i could still use the corn syrup for a caramel recipe or will it bring out a grainy texture? icon_smile.gif)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 1:04am
post #6 of 7

It will totally crystallize if you continue cooking it to caramel. Add water and cook it again.

By the way, are you using distilled water? We were taught in class that it is best to cook sugar in distilled water, because cooking sugar in high-mineral content water can cause the sugar molecules to crystallize onto the minerals.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

Hi Theresa,

basically corn syrup is made with 2 cups of white sugar, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, 3/4 cup of water and a pinch of salt.

Place all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to boil stirrinf until sugar dissolves. I use a pastry brush with a little bit of water to brush the sugar grannules off the side of the saucepan at this stage too. Then leave to simmer with a candy thermometer until syrup reaches the soft ball stage (235-245 degrees F).
Then remove from heat and allow to cool and put into jar or airtight container icon_smile.gif

Corn syrup is not made of sugar. It is made from corn. What you are describing above is actually called invert sugar and should not be confused with Corn syrup. Keep the invert sugar in the fridge up to 6 months.

Invert sugar can be used in place of corn syrup. In fact overseas they have a product called golden syrup that works as a good substitute. Overseas means not in the US, BTW, but in the UK. I don't know if it is available any where else outside the UK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%