Fondants

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 12:17pm by SarahBeth3

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 8

when covering a cake what is teh best fondant to use? Homemade or store bought?

7 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 8

In my experience store bought is stronger more flexible and easier to work with, but homemade is cheaper.

You can try out both and see which you would prefer.

I usually make my own but sometimes, the fondant isn't working for me and I end up doing things 2-3 times. So sometimes you have to choose between spending more money or spending more of your time.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 8

Buying fondant will guarantee you a consistent product. To me, it's not worth my time to make fondant also. I have to make the cake, filling, icing or ganache, decorations...etc. Time is money so whatever I can do to help me use my time more wisely....just my opinion icon_wink.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 8

I use store bought and like Kellbella said, it's consistent, which is nice in the world of cake decorating! lol

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 8

Agree with pp.. I suck at making consistent homemade fondant, and I have tried all the recipes. I just find that my time an effort is well worth the expense of the pre made fondant, so i use Virgin Ice fondant, which is priced at $15.99 for 4 lbs, ( Canadian funds ).

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 11:37am
post #6 of 8

what is your alls favorite brand to use? for taste or consistency

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 8

I like commercials fondants. They're consistent, come pre-colored and I think SatinIce tastes lovely. Especially the buttercream flavor!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 8

I don't like the taste of any of them, so I'm no help there. I have only used Wilton fondant and am pleased with how it works. But maybe that's just because I don't know what else is out there. icon_rolleyes.gif I like the price too: $19 for $5 lbs, but I always get it 40% off with a coupon, so I pay under $12!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%