Cascading Flowers

Decorating By megg5 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 12:18am by megg5

megg5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megg5 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 5

i have a buttercream cake with gumpaste roses cascading down the side! My question is what is the best way to attach the roses to the cake, toothpicks, skewers, wires? My fear is that the roses will be so heavy that it will "rip" through the side of the cake they are cascading down! Sorry I have tried to search for the answer on here but it isn't working! Tia!

4 replies
megg5 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 5

Anybody?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 5

I have found that the best way to do it is wire your flowers together and when taping, leave a few thick "stems" sticking out the back of the spray. Shape the spray to get an approximate look you like (you can do this with dummies to avoid messing up your cake), bending your "stems" as you go so they are at the right angle to fit in the cake. Fill posy/flower picks with royal icing or fondant. Stick your "stems" in them. Stick picks in the cake. The picks should take the weight of the flowers if you have done it about right.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 5

I don't wire flowers unless there is NO other way.
To start your cascade, pick the biggest flowers and start at the bottom of the cake,working up so that the roses rest on the ones below. Toothpicks help some. If you didn't make the roses w/them attached already, take a small ball of gp glue it to the back of the rose & insert the toothpick.
Here is a pic of one of the cascade c akes I made.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/28124

megg5 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:18am
post #5 of 5

Awesome! Thank you!! I will post pics when I'm done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%