Need Advice

Decorating By TakestheCake73 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 3:43am by rowantree

TakestheCake73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TakestheCake73 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 5

I was recently asked to make a cake in the shape of an antique fan for someone who colloects antiques. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do that? I thought of shaping one from a sheet cake but i like the 3D look more but not sure how to get it to stand up and look authentic.

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 5

Well first of all you need to draw it out and see how big you want to make it..You will have to build a PVC type stand for it so this is where the planning comes in...Once you have some sort of idea about design and size...then you can construct a stand.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 5

For 3D: Cake base. Anything vertical can be RKT since it's sturdier than cake.. I can picture the blades being modeling chocolate.

Maybe?

TakestheCake73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TakestheCake73 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 5

I was also wondering about the cage around the blades? blown sugar would look great, but i have never done that and wouldnt have a clue how to even try?

rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowantree Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 5

hmmm...are we talking about a hand fan here or an electric one? I'm picturing a Victorian silk folding fan unfolded with lacy texture on it, lying on a sheet cake. Lots of fine tip work to make a tassle on the handle, lacy edging, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%