Cool Whip & Jello Frosting/filling?

Baking By JessicaN Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 5:48pm by idgalpal

JessicaN Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 5

I'm pretty new to this whole cake thing, but a friend of mine told me about a yummy frosting that someone once made for her using cool whip & a package of flavored jello... has anyone ever heard of this? I like easy recipes so if I can just make my own cool whip and add a package of lemon jello & have a yummy filling for my lemon cake (I know a lot of lemon but it's what the momma to be wants) then I would love to know if this is a true filling or is there something more to this recipe?

any other easy lemon fillings or other flavors too would be much appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't tried that, but on the back of the Dream Whip package there is a recipe for mixing dream whip with a box of pudding mix and some milk or whatever, and it makes a nice light frosting type stuff.... it would work with lemon pudding, I'm sure!

Lili5768 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 5

My only experience with the Jello thing is that I tried adding some to my buttercream and I got gritty buttercream. Thank God I experimented with just a small amount because I had to throw it away. I dunno, maybe I should have dissolved it first? Would love to know if there's a way to make this work. also I've thought one might be able to substitute Jello for the gelatin in the fondant recipes, which would add flavor and color, but don't know how to do this.

Cohaja12 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with lili....without dissolving the jello, it will be gritty. Been there, done that icon_smile.gif

idgalpal Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 5

My mom use to make a dish that was Cool Whip, jello and then crushed pineapple, or mandarin oranges, or whatever fruit went with the flavor of jello you used. It was a pretty yummy dessert/sidedish, but I never though of using it as a cake filling. No reason you couldn't though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%