Fresh Ginger Questions

Baking By Elcee Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 5:49pm by Elcee

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 4

Good morning! I just did a first run of a cupcake recipe that I want to enter in my state fair this year. If I do say so myself, they came out very well icon_rolleyes.gif but still need a bit of tweaking.

I used fresh ginger for the first time and had kind of a hard time grating it. Once I realized that the grater wasn't working I put it through my mini food processor. I now know I should have frozen it, and what's left of the root is in the freezer now.

My question is this...is freshly grated ginger always stringy? Or is that a result of me treating it badly? I noticed the stringiness as I was processing it and when I broke open a cupcake, the strings are slightly visible. I'm concerned that they'll be unappetizing...maybe mistaken for cat hair or something (ugh). Should I juice the ginger for round 2, or will it grate without stringiness when it's frozen?

Thanks so much!

3 replies
sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 4

what about mincing the ginger? I just baked a chocolate cake that asked for fresh ginger...altho, the julienne was first used to make a ginger syrup then chopped fine to incorporate in the batter... This way, it won't be stringy.

Hope that helps.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 4

Yes it is. That is why you grate it. It breaks up the strings.

I've never tried it frozen. I'll have to try that. I do know that when I freeze ginger it gets limp when it thaws. But this is ginger that has been in the freezer for say two weeks and not overnight. That small amount of time in the freezer is different than a lengthy stay.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 4

sweetpea223, making a syrup is an interesting thought that I may consider. One of the tweaks my recipe needs is a bit more liquid.

LindaF144a, I read on eHow that it is easier to grate the ginger when it's frozen. BUT as soon as I read the part of your post where it says grating breaks up the strings I realized that I was actually shredding it, not grating it dunce.gif. I used a mouli, with the piece of ginger on in its side which most likely exacerbated the stringiness.

Thank you both for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%