Hi Hat Cupcakes Icing

Baking By jackiejo1313 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 7:39pm by Dayti

jackiejo1313 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 7

Well my husband requested hi hat cupcakes for work tonight after seeing a picture of them online. Basically I need a few different ideas for the icing that will be stiff enough to withstand the dipping process. The reason I ask for a few is because I would like to try maybe a peanut butter and the regular marshmallow, of course any other ideas or recipes would be great.

6 replies
cakification Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 7

I've made these hi hat before and they were DELICIOUS! http://www.bakerella.com/hi-hat-cupcakes/

In case the link doesn't post, they are from bakerellas website. I made the icing exactly as she has written, and they dipped perfectly into the melted chocolate. The icing really is amazing, although time consuming, and personally I cant imagine any of my BC's holding up to the melted chocolate,

rhondab Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 7
Dayti Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 7
Originally Posted by rhondab

Tutorial from King Arthur flour :

Does anyone know if this frosting recipe (using meringue powder) would need refridgerating? If the cupcake is left at room temp all day, will it just become a soggy mess?

rhondab Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 7

From comments added after the tutorial, I think it's not the fluffy part that needs to stay cool, but the chocolate coating. Refrigeration helps keep the chocolate firm and makes the cuppie easier to eat.

cakification Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 7

The icing part (when i say icing, i mean the marshmallow concoction Bakeralla usues) definitely needs to remain cold. While i was doing them, i started with REALLY cold cupcakes/icing that I had removed from the freezer and had sitting on my counter. They were dipping perfectly, until about halfway through the dipping process, the coldness started to wear off from the cupcakes/icing, and they started to melt as i was dipping them into the chocolate. Problem was easily solved by putting the remaining cuppies back into the fridge for a few minutes to chill them up enough so i could continue dipping.

I would recommend leaving the tray of cupcakes in the freezer and just removing one at a time to dip.

Dayti Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 7

Oh, that's a pain, I was going to have a go at making and selling these at my bakery but my display cabinet is not refridgerated icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%