sweetdreams1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams1989 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:12am
post #1 of 6

I found this video on youtube its way cheaper than buying them.Enjoy

5 replies
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:59am
post #2 of 6

Really helpful as I can't buy cake boards where I live. Thanks!

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 6

Interesting!

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 6

Great tutorial icon_smile.gif

I make my cake boards in a very similar way. I get my foam core at my local dollar store cause it's way cheaper than the craft store icon_smile.gif I don't usually cover my boards with fondant so I use freezer paper with the shiny side up, instead of foil. It makes a nice shiny white board.

To make cutting the circles easier, I use a drywall circle cutter. It's like a big ruler-ed compass with a circular blade on the end. It cuts much faster and straighter then I could ever do myself. I cut the circle and then flip the foam board over and cut again from the other side. It makes a hole in the center so it's easy to know were you should be cutting.

here's what the cutter thing looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002X2EE/?tag=cakecentral-20

icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 6

THANK YOU leafO!!!! I get the foam core board at the Dollar store as well but I have been cutting mine with an exacto knife and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to cut it very well. I will get the drywall cutter and try that!!!
How do you put the freezer paper on the board? I have never used it, is it sticky on one side?

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 6

I use the spray adhesive and cut the edges in strips to fold over the round edge like she does in the video. Glue sticks work ok in pinch too icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%