Why Dont Customers Understand???

Decorating By jessyummycakes Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 5:59am by ragdollyanna77

jessyummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyummycakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:57am
post #1 of 9

Whew...need a vent here!!!
Its only been a short time that I have started doing cakes for "strangers". But it seems to be a common occurance that people leave things to the last minute! Dont book in properly, dont give me clear instructions, dont pay their deposit and then want their cakes done!!! Am I alone here???, or I am just having a bad patch. I have tried to be firm and tell them I require 50% deposit prior to booking, but seem to be getting last minute stragglers.

8 replies
Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:09am
post #2 of 9

I feel your pain. Things have gotten better for me now but WOW I really had to create a lot of rules for myself and for my clients. Tiring amount of rules to make things run smooth, or I should say tiring amount of rules when you first start. Once you have your own perimeters set then it's smoother sailing (as long as you respect the rules you set and make sure others do to!) Every time I think I have it all figured out along comes a new challenge. Like today, I am up late and can't sleep after decideing not to work with the cake cutter I was using at my events and now debating whether to even mess with the cake cutting end of things anymore. It is nice to know who is returning your equipment w/o problems and to have eyes and ears at the event to report back to you. But it is another aspect to manage and set rules for and dang making and delivering the cake is ENOUGH!

ragdollyanna77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ragdollyanna77 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:35am
post #3 of 9

I too have just started taking orders for strangers and am having the same problem! I strike up a good rappor with them and they forward on fabric samples etc to match colour so i know they defo want me to do their cakes ............but no deposit! I think im defo gonna have to be firmer and more clear when explaining the booking process. It's all lessons learnt i suppose.
How do you chase it up without sounding like you're saying 'GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!'. especially when i've got on really well with my customers?

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:42am
post #4 of 9

I make it very clear from the beginning NO CAKE IS EVER BOOKED until the 50% deposit is paid. This is in email replies, I say it right off during phone conversations. Not in a give me your money way, but in a here is how this process works way. If they say oh hold that date for me I repeat the above sentence. And then smile and say would you like to go ahead and book your cake right now, we can do the contract and I accept cash or credit.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:18am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollyanna77

I too have just started taking orders for strangers and am having the same problem! I strike up a good rappor with them and they forward on fabric samples etc to match colour so i know they defo want me to do their cakes ............but no deposit! I think im defo gonna have to be firmer and more clear when explaining the booking process. It's all lessons learnt i suppose.
How do you chase it up without sounding like you're saying 'GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!'. especially when i've got on really well with my customers?

What you do is that you don't accept fabric samples or anything, until there is a deposit. Deposit first, always. Don't spend your time chasing after money. If they haven't paid, let them know that their cake is not yet booked and won't be until you have payment. Be clear and firm with this from the beginning. It can be done in a friendly way.

It has the added benefit of people treating you with more respect and less distrust when they see you are a serious business. If they see you as "the sweet little cake lady" that they can talk into getting free stuff or paying late, there's already potential for getting screwed.
You can be the sweet cake lady AND the businesswoman (or man) and your customers will feel safe.

At least that's how it works for me.

ragdollyanna77 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:35am
post #6 of 9

All very good advice. I will be doing all of the above with my next customer. Thanks!

1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 9

Good advise Gefion!

jessyummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyummycakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone esp. Gefion!!! Still this man has not paid me, its Wednesday here, I think he wants to collect the cupcakes on Friday, he has not even given me a firm date/time of collection!

ragdollyanna77 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:59am
post #9 of 9

after advise yesterday, i decided to email 2 people i have been waiting for deposits from. It was friendly but firm. Result = 1 cheque in the post and other dropping the money off at the weekend!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%