The One Time I Don't Mind Burnt Cake.

Lounge By SammieB Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 3:54am by SammieB

SammieB  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:17am
post #1 of 5

Tonight was trying as could be! I was in the kitchen baking my hubby's 30th birthday cake (for tomorrow), and my almost 8 month old daughter was hanging out in her walker nearby. I had given her a biter biscuit and I always keep an eye on her while she's eating anything. As I have the cake in the oven and I'm mixing peanut butter filling, I watch her suddenly decide to shove the rest of the biscuit in her mouth. She only has 2 bottom teeth, so I immediately put down my mixer and watch her for just a second. Sure enough, she starts gagging, and looks like she's not breathing. I immediately snatch her up, listen for breathing, and then flip her over and starting smacking her back. She drools for a few seconds, which seem like hours to me, and then coughs up the biscuit and starts screaming. My child's scream has never sounded so wonderful! Of course, then I was freaked out because I had peanut butter all over my hands and had gotten some on her in the moment, so then I was all nervous watching to see if she had a reaction. I left the kitchen and had not set a timer. I just sat in our rocking chair and held her to make sure she would be alright. Didn't remember the cake until I smelled the burning. Oh well. My hands have finally stopped shaking!

4 replies
 cake_architect  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:30am
post #2 of 5

i'm so glad your baby is ok! and yes, i wouldn't have minded that burning cake either. blessings to you and your family! icon_biggrin.gif

Vanessa7  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:32am
post #3 of 5

So glad your precious gift from God is okay. Cakes can be rebaked but little ones cannot be replaced. God is good!

carmijok  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:44am
post #4 of 5

wow...so happy it all turned out well. I would be shaking for days I fear. But it's all over now and God blessed you and your child. Whew!

SammieB  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:54am
post #5 of 5

I know. I've been fighting the urge to go in and just watch her sleep since I put her to bed. My other daughter (almost 2) was just so different at 7 months than Haley. She has always been so independant, yet cautious, always older mentally and physically than her age. Haley is my little baby, sweet and every bit of her 7 months old, trusting me with everything. I am so protective of her, and I know God was watching over us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%