The One Time I Don't Mind Burnt Cake.

Lounge By SammieB Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 3:54am by SammieB

SammieB Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:17am
post #1 of 5

Tonight was trying as could be! I was in the kitchen baking my hubby's 30th birthday cake (for tomorrow), and my almost 8 month old daughter was hanging out in her walker nearby. I had given her a biter biscuit and I always keep an eye on her while she's eating anything. As I have the cake in the oven and I'm mixing peanut butter filling, I watch her suddenly decide to shove the rest of the biscuit in her mouth. She only has 2 bottom teeth, so I immediately put down my mixer and watch her for just a second. Sure enough, she starts gagging, and looks like she's not breathing. I immediately snatch her up, listen for breathing, and then flip her over and starting smacking her back. She drools for a few seconds, which seem like hours to me, and then coughs up the biscuit and starts screaming. My child's scream has never sounded so wonderful! Of course, then I was freaked out because I had peanut butter all over my hands and had gotten some on her in the moment, so then I was all nervous watching to see if she had a reaction. I left the kitchen and had not set a timer. I just sat in our rocking chair and held her to make sure she would be alright. Didn't remember the cake until I smelled the burning. Oh well. My hands have finally stopped shaking!

4 replies
cake_architect Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:30am
post #2 of 5

i'm so glad your baby is ok! and yes, i wouldn't have minded that burning cake either. blessings to you and your family! icon_biggrin.gif

Vanessa7 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:32am
post #3 of 5

So glad your precious gift from God is okay. Cakes can be rebaked but little ones cannot be replaced. God is good!

carmijok Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:44am
post #4 of 5 happy it all turned out well. I would be shaking for days I fear. But it's all over now and God blessed you and your child. Whew!

SammieB Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:54am
post #5 of 5

I know. I've been fighting the urge to go in and just watch her sleep since I put her to bed. My other daughter (almost 2) was just so different at 7 months than Haley. She has always been so independant, yet cautious, always older mentally and physically than her age. Haley is my little baby, sweet and every bit of her 7 months old, trusting me with everything. I am so protective of her, and I know God was watching over us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%