Help! New To Cake Decorating

Decorating By ebraham Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 5:04pm by JenFailla

ebraham Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:22am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I took a the Wilton deocrator basics class last month. I am trying to make a cake for my Dad's bday. He likes the milk chocolate icing that comes out of a can. Can i use this icing to ice the cake and then use decorator icing for the decorations on the cake?

Thanks for your help.
Emily

9 replies
macie2011 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:28am
post #2 of 10

You can use it, but it will be hard to get it perfectly smooth because of the consistency.

Mo-Mo73 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 10

after you bake your cakes, freeze them..that way if you use the can icing it doesnt break your cake..also..if your gonna make decorating icing, would he really know the difference if you made homemade chocolate icing..its so much better tasting..=p..anyhow..hope this helps...

mombabytiger Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 10

Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting tastes very much like the canned frosting that your dad likes, but the consistency is much better for icing smooth and decorating. Very easy to make as well.

mombabytiger Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 10

Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting tastes very much like the canned frosting that your dad likes, but the consistency is much better for icing smooth and decorating. Very easy to make as well.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 10

If you want more of a home style, non smooth cake, then you can totally ice the cake with the canned frosting, especially if that is what he likes. icon_smile.gif

ebraham Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:50am
post #7 of 10

Hi All,

where can i find the recipe for the Hersehey's Chocolate icing?

macie2011 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #8 of 10
Cake-O-Rate Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 10

You can def. use both with no issues. Let the base icing"canned in this case" firm up a bit after icing the cake. You will be able to decorate it with the pro. cake icing.

Good Luck! and Happy Bday to your dad!!http://decoratedcupcakeideas.com

JenFailla Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 10

my mom used to decorate with canned frosting- and she would dump it in the mixer with a teeny bit of milk to whip it up to a more spreadable consistency without tearing the cake trying to crumb coat it... i haven't tried this, but it may be worth a shot- and it would still be the same taste your dad loves. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%