New To This...please Help!

Decorating By nanasmom Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 2:02am by kneenah

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:02am
post #1 of 6

So I promised DD I would make her a cake for her Fancy Nancy birthday party. I did not realize I am in way over my head since I have never done this before but I am determined!

I have a few questions...

1) I am planning on doing a two tier round cake with each tier being two layers. I want to do one chocolate tier and one white tier. Can someone point me in the direction of good cake recipes that are easy to work with/will stand up to fondant (or maybe cream? I can go either way.)

2) Is the Wilton fondant worth it - taste and ease of working with? Or should I make the marshmallow version?

Thanks!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:55am
post #2 of 6

1. There are tons of recipes in the Recipe Section on here.

2. Wilton fondant is disgusting. I don't even consider it a food product and only use it on dummy cakes. Try SatinIce.

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:57am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

1. There are tons of recipes in the Recipe Section on here.

2. Wilton fondant is disgusting. I don't even consider it a food product and only use it on dummy cakes. Try SatinIce.

tx Leah! Are there any specific types of cakes that hold up better or any would really do?

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:08am
post #4 of 6

Some may disagree with me...but I would recommend just using good ol Duncan Hines box mix. It holds up fine under fondant and its just overall less stress when making your first big cake. The taste is fine, its what everyone is used too. Its funny because people always exclaim how great my cakes are (taste wise) but I think people get swept up in the fact that its covered in fondant and just assume the cake is better.

Anyways as for the fondant...I wouldn't count Wilton's out. It doesn't taste great, but how many 4,5 and 6 year olds are going to be eating fondant anyways. I have made a point to buy more expensive, better tasting fondant and everyone just eats around it so I am out the more money. I am not into making it, just too messy for me.

Good Luck, I started the same way last year making a firetruck cake for my son...and now I have 25 cakes under my belt. Its addicting and the possibilites are endless.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:31am
post #5 of 6

The WASC recipe is good..I would stay away from the wilton fondatn too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:02am
post #6 of 6

1. I aggress DUNCAN HINES, makes very taste cake and holds up very well with fondant and its super easy to make.

2. I dont think u should work with MMF just yet cuz its pretty tricky u have to make it a few times before u get it just the way ur comfortable with. Wilton fondant doesnt taste great BUT like the above post said ppl normally dont eat it but its very easy to work with. I use pettinice fondant. I enjoy the taste and its just as affordable as wilton. I just ordered 10pounds of it on www.fondantsource.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%