Sperm Whale Inspiration!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 11:40pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, guys, I'm hoping for some fabulous inspiration because my brain hurts from my call last night at the hospital and I don't have much in the way of design power. I need to make a friend's little boy a sperm-whale-shaped cake for this week. You know ... squared-off sort of look to the head. Needs to feed about 20, so I'd figured I'd carve it out of a couple of 8-inch rounds, adding the rounded-off curves to the top of the cake for the volume on the head. Trouble is, I don't think that will be square enough for the head. Any ideas? I'd like to avoid baking too many servings for this one ...

Thanks for any ideas!!

3 replies
Ursula40 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 4

Do you have a loaf pan? I would start with one of those, bake it high and carve down. That way the squarish snout is already a given. If you just carve the head and part of the body, as if it is just coming out of the water, you shouldn't lose too many servings. How many serving do you need?

Ursula40 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 4

like this one I found here in the gallery

emiyeric Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 4

Fabulous! Need about 20 servings ... I have no idea how many servings a loaf pan even gives ... I like the idea, though. I was just about to bake a 9x13 and cut down the middle to stack ... that way I could torte it as I usually do. But I'm liking the idea of the loaf pan!!

Thanks for your help and your suggestions!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%