Working From Home Issues!

Business By nanefy Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 1:04pm by amaryllis756

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 10

Ok post numero duo for today!

I'm in the throws of starting up my business which is home based (in the UK) and it just occurred to me that I'll obviously have consultations for weddings as well as tastings etc but the problem is that I don't want to have people round to my house.

Firstly, one of the main reasons I am starting my own business is because I am struggling to find work just now and we need extra income in order to renovate certain areas of my house and although there are no structural problems or problems that would affect me being able to work from home, it's not in a state that I would be comfortable with customers seeing. The kitchen is decorated and ready to use but in order to get to the kitchen you have to come through the house and I would not like for customers to see the rest of the house as it is not exactly what I'd class as a 'slick business environment' lol.
Secondly, although it is my business, it is also my home and I don't want people just coming to the door whenever they want, because when I'm not working it is obviously my home.

Anyway does anyone else work from home and have a workaround for consultations, or am I in an odd category all of my own lol?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 10

I think some people meet customers in a coffee shop or other little cafe near their homes, for the reasons you mentioned above. If you're planning to deliver the orders, there's really no need for customers to come to your home. You should probably not put your address on your website, to avoid people dropping by.

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 10

i know some people who meet there clients at a local coffee shop or somewhere convenient

ALetter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALetter Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 10

I actually have the same problem and I have found a beautiful, local hotel that allows me to meet clients in their restaraunt/lobby. I presented it to the manager that I would be meeting with wedding clients and they would be able to see the beautiful venue of the hotel at the same time we discussed wedding cakes. They jumped at the chance and allow me to do this without a fee.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALetter

I actually have the same problem and I have found a beautiful, local hotel that allows me to meet clients in their restaraunt/lobby. I presented it to the manager that I would be meeting with wedding clients and they would be able to see the beautiful venue of the hotel at the same time we discussed wedding cakes. They jumped at the chance and allow me to do this without a fee.

That is a fantastic idea!!! I'll now be looking for something similar - thanks so much for responding icon_smile.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALetter

thumbs_up.gif

A win- win situation! Bravo! I bet a coupon for a free cake for the manager would also do a long way toward goodwill.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:37am
post #7 of 10

I used to do them in the client's home and acted like it was a service. And I would pick up a cute carton of hot coffee on the way to go with.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 8:19am
post #8 of 10

I did/do the same as mombabytiger and sell it as a service. It saves them time and money and in addition I get a good idea of their style and tastes. Of course you have to figure your costs of doing this into the final cake price.

I am working on a different solution now where I hope to renovate an outbuilding on the property to have my office and cosultation area.

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:24am
post #9 of 10

Never thought of going to the CUSTOMER's home... i like that idea, and mayb explore that opportunity...

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:04pm
post #10 of 10

I am also just starting consultations in my home business, and was struggling with the same problems. Glad to read the solutions. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%