Violin Cake Pricing

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 10:19pm by johnson6ofus

lrlt2000 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing my second violin cake this week for a friend who is paying me (this will be only the second cake I will have charged for, out of about 20!)

I know pricing varies from geographic area to geographic area, but I just want opinions! The one I am going to post here was a 6-hour, last minute project I did last year for my daughter's Suzuki Book 1 graduation, and the friend wants it based on seeing this one!

I am fully anticipating that this week's one will be soooo much nicer icon_wink.gif I'm hoping and confident I can make it look close to this one:

What do you think I should charge her?? The cake will be yellow doctored box mix, using a durable recipe; homemade SMBC for the filling; homemade white chocolate ganache for under the fondant; homemade chocolate MMF for the outside; some hand painting to get the wood grain look; fondant details (pegs, tuners, black pieces, etc.); and jewelry wire for the strings.

I just want a general range from you all--I'm not looking for exact. Thanks for your opinions!

2 replies
jason_kraft Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 3

A SWAG estimate of our price would be around $290, see calculation below:

$30 ingredient cost + $180 (6 hours labor * ($15/hour wage + $15/hour kitchen rent)) + $20 per-order overhead (annual overhead such as insurance and license fees / # of orders per year) + 25% profit margin.

Since we live in CA we cannot legally sell a cake unless it was made in a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen, if you live in a state with a cottage food law that allows cakes made at home to be sold your price would probably be lower.

johnson6ofus Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 3

thumbs_up.gif Jason--- had to look up "SWAG"... loved that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%