Help!!! For Those That Use Ganache Under Fondant...

Baking By SHYLERScakes Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 1:52am by ApplegumPam

SHYLERScakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 16

ok soooo....

I've tried several times (un-successfully) to ice my cakes in ganache then cover with fondant. I use the 2:1 ratio, let it sit in the fridge for an hour, take it out, bring it back to room temp so i can spread it, leave it out over-night to form a shell, and when I wake up the next morning, it's still soft! icon_eek.gif I've tried chilling it, but of course when I take it out and it comes back to room temp, it's soft again. icon_cry.gif I was really hoping that this technique would work for me because I wanted really sharp corners on my cakes. Is it because I live in humid Hawaii? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

15 replies
Marianna46 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 16

I'm at a loss as to know what's happening with your ganache! I don't think it's the humidity - I live in humid Cancún and I use it successfully all the time. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the cream you use doesn't have a high enough fat content - I generally add some butter to my recipe. I don't think it's the chocolate, either. I've used several different brands and even chocolate-flavored candy melts with no problem. Anybody else out there have any advice to offer?

SHYLERScakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks for your reply! I'll try candy melts...hopefully that will help.

amanduhleigh Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 16

I always let mine set overnight - not in the fridge. Just covered on the counter. The recipe I use is 1.5 lbs chocolate to 8 oz of cream.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHYLERScakes

ok soooo....

I've tried several times (un-successfully) to ice my cakes in ganache then cover with fondant. I use the 2:1 ratio, let it sit in the fridge for an hour, take it out, bring it back to room temp so i can spread it, leave it out over-night to form a shell, and when I wake up the next morning, it's still soft! icon_eek.gif I've tried chilling it, but of course when I take it out and it comes back to room temp, it's soft again. icon_cry.gif I was really hoping that this technique would work for me because I wanted really sharp corners on my cakes. Is it because I live in humid Hawaii? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Are you using milk or dark chocolate? That would make a huge difference. If you are using milk chocolate the ratio is supposed to be a 3 to 1 ratio and same with white chocolate.

emiyeric Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 16

And the ratio should be, as a previous poster noted, by weight and not by volume (ounces and not cups).

SHYLERScakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 16

I use semi sweet chocolate and I also weigh my chocolate and heavy whipping cream. Tbank you all so much for your help and the links to the tutorials! I will definitely try it again this weekend and let you know how it goes!

SHYLERScakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 16

I use semi sweet chocolate and I also weigh my chocolate and heavy whipping cream. Tbank you all so much for your help and the links to the tutorials! I will definitely try it again this weekend and let you know how it goes!

josefina20 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:05am
post #10 of 16

woaoooooo this is great information

ChelleW Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:51am
post #11 of 16

Hi I am not sure how to post a link - way too technical - but if you google Inspired by Michelle she has a fantastic tutorial on making ganache. I am a total beginner and even i didn't stuff it up!! We both live in Australia too which can be extremely humid and it still works - you don't even have to use expensive chocolate! Hope you manage to find it!

mena2002 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:56am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleW

Hi I am not sure how to post a link - way too technical - but if you google Inspired by Michelle she has a fantastic tutorial on making ganache. I am a total beginner and even i didn't stuff it up!! We both live in Australia too which can be extremely humid and it still works - you don't even have to use expensive chocolate! Hope you manage to find it!

Thanks I did find it! If anyone else is interested here is the link

http://inspiredbymichelleblog.com/cake-decorating-tutorials/

hope it works (fingers crossed ) icon_wink.gif

ChelleW Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:57am
post #13 of 16

I can pretty much guarantee it!! If I can do it anyone can!! She also has a great tutorial for making sugarpaste!! Let us know how you go! icon_smile.gif

SHYLERScakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:07am
post #14 of 16

Sorry it took so long to post my results, but here it is!!!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2082459

Thanks so much for the tutorials...they truly helped! The ganache didn't set up with a "hard" shell, it stayed a little soft but stiff enough to keep my edges smooth. I tried again this past weekend and changed my ratio to 3:1 and it came out perfect...hard shell and all!!! Thank you so much for all of your help and suggestions!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:40am
post #15 of 16

Can you put ganache over a buttercream crumb coat? Will that affect the final outcome?

ApplegumPam Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 1:52am
post #16 of 16

With ganache you don't need a crumbcoat - it becomes your crumbcoat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%