So What Is Everyone Charging Per Slice?

Decorating By pheonix31571 Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 7:40pm by TexasSugar

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hi I was wandering what everyone charges per slice for their wedding, birthday and other cakes? what cutting guide do you normally use?

thanks for the info

Newbie icon_rolleyes.gif

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 5

Prices will vary widely depending on the cost of the cake, which includes ingredients, labor, and overhead (insurance, license fees, etc.). I've seen cakes sell for $0.50/serving up to $20/serving or more.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 5

Location, location, location, is the key to determining your price. ingredient costs and utilities vary so much from area to area as well as the type of area you live in. You cannot get the prices found in new york city bakeries that have high (very high) overhead costs in a small rural town in arkansas that has a population of 300. Sorry, i couldn't help any more than that. Perhaps if you give your generaal area someone can give you the 'going rate' for cakes.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 5

I agree. I would call your local bakeries and get a range of what they charge for stacked buttercream or stacked fondant cakes, plus sheet cake prices and measurements.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 5

Serving guide....

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Thoughts on pricing...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

And I do believe there is a post around here somewhere where people are posting pictures of cakes they have done and prices.

If you are asking about prices so you know what to price your cakes, then I'd read the second link. It gives you the how to to figure your prices, because the things that go into pricing vary greatly from person to person and area to area. There isn't one down the board general price for cakes. You have to cover your expense/labor plus make sure you are including profit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%