How To Make A Cake Drum?

Decorating By megg5 Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 4:11am by coloradoflower

megg5  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megg5 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 8

I want a white cake drum but can only find wiltons cake drums which are silver! So how do I go about making my own!? I was looking at 1/2" think poster board, but wouldn't that show grease ring/ stain around the cake?

7 replies
 CWR41  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by megg5

I want a white cake drum but can only find wiltons cake drums which are silver! So how do I go about making my own!? I was looking at 1/2" think poster board, but wouldn't that show grease ring/ stain around the cake?

You can cover it with white foil or order white cake drums online.

prue23  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 8

I usually glue several cake boards together then cover them in any of the foils wilton sells and they end up being pretty strong. HTH!

megg5 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you!! I have looked on a few websites and most were sold out of the size I need or they were sold in bulk! Can I find this white foil at craft stores (michaels)

CWR41  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 8

Wilton fanci-foil.

megg5 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much for the help!

prue23  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 8

yep Michael's sells them icon_smile.gif

coloradoflower  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:11am
post #8 of 8

Okay this may sound really stupid, but from my understanding a cake drum is like a bunch of cardboard cake boards glued together then covered with fani-foil. If i am right.......I thought you can also use Masonite as a cake base, if that's the case why go to the hardware store and get a sheet then you can cut the shape and size you need and then just cover it with the fanci foil or whatever. I only ask cause the craft store is about an hour drive away from me, so it's far and few times I make the trip. If i am totally wrong then please tell me what a cake board is. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%