How To Make "book" Cakes Look More Realistic?

Decorating By dailey Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 2:47pm by bobwonderbuns

dailey Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 5

I've spent quite a while going through old threads here regarding book cakes and I have yet to find anything on how to make the cover look more realistic? Does anyone have any tip/tricks that they used to achieve this? Thanks!

4 replies
deuceofcakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 5

First, try to get the top of the book very level and smooth. Second, make sure you make the indent where the cover bends open on a hard cover book (I used a dowel to help me do that), and third, if the book is to be thick, you could put a very slight curve on the edge of the spine (optional). Also using dusting powder to vary the tone a bit on the cover and darken the area where the cover bends and give depth to the ridging on the "pages" - that helps a lot with the illusion.

You can add your own tweaks by taking a look at a real book and seeing what you notice that makes it look like a book!

dailey Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you! Great idea about dusting them!

deuceofcakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 5

Happy to help! I'd love to see how your book cake turns out. You can look at mine -- it was the size of a big dictionary, and managed to fool quite a few people.

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 5

If you are doing an "old" book cake, make the cover in brown fondant and brush with cocoa powder, then dust off. It gives an "old book" finish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%