Covering Miniature Cakes?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 9:57am by CandyCU

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 8:54am
post #1 of 3

I just uploaded a pic of a purple 'topsy turvy' cake I made for my little boy to decorate for my birthday. I wanted to ask if it is usually more difficult to cover a mini cake with fondant neatly? I have to admit I didn't take my time with this cake at all and when it looked like it wast going very well I gave in and thought oh well, so that obviously contributed to the state of the icing but I just wondered if it was famously more difficult to do smaller cakes? I'm making mini cakes for my sons teachers in July and want them to be as neat as possible so I may need to start practising now!

2 replies
jakip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakip Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 9:49am
post #2 of 3

Yes, they are, I think this is because the diameter of the cake is smaller so the amount of folds in the fondant is greater per inch of cake. Like you say practice will be the only way to get a need job, maybe try on a dummy cake over and over to get the best technic for you.
Good luck.

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 9:57am
post #3 of 3

Yes, I've found it is trickier to cover smaller cakes at first, but with everything... practice, practice, practice! For me because they're small and lighter I needed to use my hands more than my smoothers. After working at a cake shop covering many 4" round cakes for Xmas I soon got the knack for it!

Good luck, you'll get it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%