Silicon Molds?

Decorating By Paperfishies Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 6:08pm by HappyCake10609

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:09am
post #1 of 5

I found some pretty neat food safe molds on Etsy...However before I purchase a few, I'd like to hear from those of you who use molds with gumpaste and fondant.

Does gumpaste work well in molds like this?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moldsrus?page=19

4 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:19am
post #2 of 5

Ya they'll work I use all different kinds of molds, some are a little tricky to remove the gumpaste but they should be fine, excuse me while I go shoppingicon_smile.gif

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for sharing, think I will be doing some shopping as well.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 5

Those are cheap for what I have seen Silicon go for. I'd be curious if they really are food safe. Generally the cheaper silicon molds are not, because food grade silicon isn't really cheap to start with.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Those are cheap for what I have seen Silicon go for. I'd be curious if they really are food safe. Generally the cheaper silicon molds are not, because food grade silicon isn't really cheap to start with.

I believe the yellow molds are made from Amazing Mold Putty, which I discovered a few weeks ago (I made petal veiners from it). It is food grade, it has marked on the packaging that it complies with FDA 21 CFR 177.2600. The purple one I believe is Sculpy Mold Maker material, which is non-toxic but not rated for food use.

Oh, and the Amazing Mold Putty is $20 regular price at Michael's (came to $11 w/ coupon) and I priced the Sculpy Mold Maker at $10 regular price (it's a smaller quantity). You get quite a bit of product, so I can see why the molds on Etsy are so cheap...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%