Second Guessing My Logo...help!

Business By FH_Cakes Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 4:28pm by MamaDear

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:19am
post #1 of 33

I was fortunate enough to find a Graphic Designer locally that worked out a trade with me, so I really didn't pay much for my logo which is great...but now that I have had it for a while I am starting not to like it!

After sitting here re-reading my tagline over and over I can't stand it...Am I being crazy or should I make some changes?

** sorry, can't figure out how to post my logo on here for you to see...please go to my site www.fhcakes.com **

32 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:48am
post #2 of 33

what exactly don't you like about it? do you mean the image of the cake or the fonts of your company/tag line? or what it says?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:49am
post #3 of 33

My 7 year old (who has GREAT taste) and I both like it! You do amazing work.

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:51am
post #4 of 33

BTW, is it a Joomla site?

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:07am
post #5 of 33

I LOVE your logo - it's beautiful! The colors and damask design are really elegant. If it's your tagline you're worried about ("Custom cakes for all occasions") I guess you could probably come up with something more original. It gets the point across but I have seen it a lot on other cake websites. I'm sorry I don't have any ideas for you but I do think the logo itself is gorgeous!

joviolette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joviolette Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:43am
post #6 of 33

I think it's pretty! Saw you're from Vancouver, had to say hi from a fellow NW baker! icon_smile.gif

FH_Cakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:59am
post #7 of 33

I think what is bothering me about it is the tagline...it's so bland. I was considering having it removed all together.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:14am
post #8 of 33

Here it is without the tagline:
Or without the overlapping letters:

Or with the overlapping letters, but a little shadow added:

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:28am
post #9 of 33

I really like your website but if you change your logo I think that Texas_Rose's second choice (without the overlapping letters) pops more than the one you already have. Just my 2 cents icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 33

The picture of the cake on the left side of your logo is very nice, but as mentioned above the "CAKES" text is not strong enough. Texas_Rose's second image works better (nice job incorporating the gradient into the cake as well).

Kudos on offering gluten/dairy/peanut-free options. Just having peanut-free (are you also tree nut-free?) cake is huge and could be one of your main selling points -- I run a bakery specializing in allergy-free cakes and we have far more business than we can handle with just party cakes. Allergy-free birthday cakes are especially big because of the prevalence of food allergies in kids.

FH_Cakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 33

Thanks Texas_Rose for those examples...I too like the middle one, this was similar to an option I had when chosing my logo. I decided to go with the one I did because at the time I liked it more...but now I am reconsidering my choice.

This is such a hard decision...What do you all think, should I drop the tag line or keep it? I have been racking my brain trying to think of something more orgininal...

"Specializing in Allergy-Free Edible Art" (I am the only baker in my area that does Peanut-Free)

"Making the world a sweeter place"

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 33

"Specializing in Allergy-Free Edible Art" kind of sounds too clinical.

"Because life is sweet"

"Because life is delicious"

"Put the icing on your special day"

jason_kraft Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 33

It depends on which direction you want to go...do you want to focus on wedding cakes with elaborate designs that happen to be available allergy-free, or do you want to push the allergy-free aspect with simpler party cakes?

Also, for my own business I wasn't too comfortable with the term "allergy-free", so we ended up using "allergy-friendly".

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 33

SAHCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SAHCaker Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:27pm
post #15 of 33

I think the "FH" should be in blue because this is what separates you from AB Cakes or CD Cakes. I would have personally put the image of the cake in place of the "A" in Cakes. And make it one line.

The logo on the website is a bit big. It takes up half the screen when you log on to your website.

I would leave out any tag line unless this is your niche and you are claiming this as your specialty. If you also happen to do this along with other things people might not get that and you'd unintentionally drive people away. If this is your niche then you'd have to appeal to a wider audience outside of your local area...i.e., being able to mail your cakes to the people who have allergies but since it looks like you're a home baker, I'd opt to appeal to a wider audience and drop the line.

Your work is good, you should keep caking...er, baking. icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykim108

If this is your niche then you'd have to appeal to a wider audience outside of your local area.

Any decently-sized metro area would easily be able to support a home-based baker specializing in the niche market of baking for people with food allergies without having to ship outside the area. Larger areas can support these niche businesses with the additional overhead of a rented kitchen. I'm not sure the niche is large enough to support a retail shop on its own though.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm
post #17 of 33

FH_Cakes I do love your logo because it stands out & when people see it they know it's you. It separates you from the rest. However, if you do want to change it that would be totally up to you. Many companies revamp their logo and it works out just fine for them. IMO if you do change it don't go too far from your original so if a previous customer looks at it they don't think that it's a completely different company.

HTH

SAHCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SAHCaker Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 33

The kids are asleep so I could play a little. Let's see if this works. The last time it I had trouble.

FH_Cakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:15pm
post #19 of 33

Wow...some great responses and feedback..Thank you!!

My niche is definatley peanut-free/allergen friendly. I am known for this as I started my business due to my own son having a life threatning peanut allergy. My husband thinks I will drive business away if I market that I am peanut-free, some people may think they can't get just a basic birthday cake from me...I do agree with him, this is why I tried to go with a simple tag line.

Thank you all for the comments and feedback, it has really helped!

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:21pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:

The kids are asleep so I could play a little. Let's see if this works. The last time it I had trouble.

Okay, I like this better! Well done!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:49pm
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:

I like this, too.

jason_kraft Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:51pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH_Cakes

I am known for this as I started my business due to my own son having a life threatning peanut allergy. My husband thinks I will drive business away if I market that I am peanut-free, some people may think they can't get just a basic birthday cake from me...I do agree with him, this is why I tried to go with a simple tag line.

To play devil's advocate here, IMO if you aim at a niche you should embrace it and focus on those niche customers as your primary market, especially if you are the sole provider for those niche customers. If you end up losing customers outside your primary market (even after emphasizing that your cakes taste just as good as cakes with nuts) that's not really a big deal.

There is a huge unmet need out there in the niche you and I are focusing on, this will become painfully clear if you meet with local support groups dealing with food allergies and celiac.

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:29am
post #23 of 33

My only concern with the logo itself is it kinda says to me you ONLY do high end cakes...

I guess I have a similiar issue with my logo as it kinda looks like I ONLY do "fun" cakes...?

www.whentalentscollide.com

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:46am
post #24 of 33

I love your logo and the variations posted by Texas_Rose. I would love to know what graphics program you are using.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:18am
post #25 of 33

I, too, vote for Texas Rose's #2 design. For some reason, I read "fish cakes" when I quickly glance at the JennyKim's (Maybe it's from being in the Northwest).
Pike Place Market (Seattle) has a bead shop with a wooden sign pointing to the shop with the words "BEAD SHOP". Because of the positioning of the letters, ask any visitor to read the sign and they always say "The Bread Shop".

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:05am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

I love your logo and the variations posted by Texas_Rose. I would love to know what graphics program you are using.

Photoshop icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:29am
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:

I like this, too.

I like this one but I think the "Cakes" should be in more bold print...and that the "FH" should be above it, instead of to the left...

I also like TexasRose's last one except not the "FH" part...I like the "Cakes" font and the little tagline though.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:33am
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

I, too, vote for Texas Rose's #2 design. For some reason, I read "fish cakes" when I quickly glance at the JennyKim's (Maybe it's from being in the Northwest).
Pike Place Market (Seattle) has a bead shop with a wooden sign pointing to the shop with the words "BEAD SHOP". Because of the positioning of the letters, ask any visitor to read the sign and they always say "The Bread Shop".

Haha, now every time I see this, I see fish cakes!

jason_kraft Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:34am
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

Photoshop icon_smile.gif

Photoshop is an excellent tool, but it is also pricey ($500+). If you want to play around with graphics editing, you can get much of the same functionality with Photoshop Elements, which costs $70.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YGMEAQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

There are also some free alternatives but in my experience nothing beats Photoshop.

http://sixrevisions.com/graphics-design/10-excellent-open-source-and-free-alternatives-to-photoshop/

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:46am
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

Photoshop icon_smile.gif

Photoshop is an excellent tool, but it is also pricey ($500+). If you want to play around with graphics editing, you can get much of the same functionality with Photoshop Elements, which costs $70.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YGMEAQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

There are also some free alternatives but in my experience nothing beats Photoshop.

http://sixrevisions.com/graphics-design/10-excellent-open-source-and-free-alternatives-to-photoshop/

Corel Paint shop pro is what I use, it is way cheaper than Photo shop, and i think it is friendlier to use, just read the manual when you want to do something, it will take you step by step. LOVE IT!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%