What Kind Of Buttercream Do You Use?

Decorating By sweetdreams1989 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 10:16pm by josefina20

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:45am
post #31 of 42

I have always just used the Wilton BC, but after reading post after post after post, I think it's time I try indyDebi's buttercream. Picking up some dream whip today icon_wink.gif

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:21am
post #32 of 42

I use Swiss Meringue buttercream and I love it. In fact, my customers just love it. That is what I get the most comments, is on my frosting. I like the way to takes different flavors, I put many different additions to it. Like peanutbutter, or cream cheese. I have always stayed away from buttercream, because they are too too sweet for me, but this is almost the perfect frosting. It takes a lot of butter, and it is most likely not very healthy, but then again we are taking dessert here. I know that alot of people do have trouble with it setting up, but I never had. I have 99.9% success with it. Only once did it fail, and that was my fault because I was busy and didn't allow the meringue to get to stiff peaks before adding my butter. But to me it is the best.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:37am
post #33 of 42

Summer months...primarily American Buttercream and Cream Cheese Buttercream. During the rest of the year I make American, SMBC, IMBC and CCBC. It depends on what I am making and the flavor I want to achieve.

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:23pm
post #34 of 42

I use a 50/50 butter and shortening (not hi ratio). I am in Canada and have not seen one at the grocery store, and with the many many other cake items I can't just find in town, I havn't even looked into ordering any. I have tryed indyDebi's recipe and did not care for it, neither did my husband. Much too sweet for me. But everyone likes different things, right. I think we are much more picky than our customers.

KathieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathieB Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:37pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme_K

Try this link for Indydebi's icing:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Her icing is terrific. HTH thumbs_up.gif

Mme K - Thank you for the link. I am going to try it this weekend.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm
post #36 of 42

I use a version of Charlotte's Whipped Cream bc and I'm going to start calling it AMBC for American Meringue ButterCream. It's meringue based, but all shortening with powdered sugar.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:57pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I use a version of Charlotte's Whipped Cream bc and I'm going to start calling it AMBC for American Meringue ButterCream. It's meringue based, but all shortening with powdered sugar.

I've been wanting to try this for some time! Can you tell me if you use the paddle or the whip attachment to combine the 2 mixtures at the end?

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:58pm
post #38 of 42
Quote:

Thank you, Leah for this informationicon_smile.gif I just found the recipe online in a PDF file (I would post it but I don't know how to post a PDF from the internet icon_redface.gif. Hey I never said I was a computer genius icon_lol.gif ). I am going to give it a try because it sounds fantastic.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:06pm
post #39 of 42

Sangria , the paddle. You're no longer wanting to incorporate air.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:24pm
post #40 of 42
Quote:

Sangria , the paddle. You're no longer wanting to incorporate air.

Thanks. I'm going to try it this week.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:25pm
post #41 of 42

I used Indydebis and Edna's 1/2 and 1/2..both are great..also jessica's swiss meringue..yummmmm..and in the winter, I like to use the old time, all favorite, traditional whipped cream frosting..

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:16pm
post #42 of 42

this is great info. thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%