Mixing Cream Cheese Frosting And Buttercream

Baking By Crissielyn Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 12:19am by crumbcake

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I am making a cinnamon cake and so would like the taste of cream cheese in there, but need to ice the outside of the cake with buttercream.

Anyone see a problem/conflict of tastes with filling the cake with cream cheese frosting and icing the outside with BC?

Maybe a silly question, but never mixed the two before. icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

4 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 5

This recipe would work as both. My buttercream recipe has cream cheese in it...but it's not a 'cream cheese' frosting. It's my go-to recipe for all my cakes and the same one the bakery I used to work for used...and they used it on every cake including carrot and red velvet.
Very simple.
8 ounce box of cream cheese
8 ounces (2 sticks) real butter
2 lbs powdered sugar.
Cream softened cream cheese and butter in mixer until very smooth (paddle attachment). Slowly add in Powdered Sugar. That's it! Doesn't even call for vanilla. But you can do any kind of flavor with this BC with zests and extracts.
This is a crusting BC too.
HTH!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 5

I have LorAnn cheesecake flavoring that I have used to flavor my buttercream. I had a cake for an outside wedding and didn't want to cream cheese icing. It tasted great.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:15am
post #4 of 5

I often add a small package of cream cheese when I'm making BC. It gives a nice mild undertone of sweet/tart.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:19am
post #5 of 5

I do the same, add cream cheese to b/c. People love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%