Cupcake Timeline?

Baking By Bettyviolet101 Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 10:15pm by cai0311

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 16

I know the time line for cakes but am not as familiar with cupcakes. What is the best timeline for YOU? How many days ahead do you bake and ice? I want them to be fresh but have time. Thanks!

15 replies
Bettyviolet101 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:41am
post #2 of 16

Oh real quick I am making 120. I was thinking of baking them thursday evening icing friday and delivering saturday. Is this okay? Or should I bake friday morning and ice friday evening? I also have 1 giant cupcake to do although I don't think that will be too time consuming. Thanks![/list]

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:15am
post #3 of 16

If you are baking Thursday, I would freeze over night. Freeze them in a garbage bag (unscented). Take out an hour before icing, but leave them in the bag until you ice. It has been tested many times, and reviews have shown that it makes the cupcakes more moist, rather than dry.

Bettyviolet101 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:24am
post #4 of 16

Okay see that makes sense. I was reading people saran wrapping 2 cupcakes at a time. That would take a couple hours for 120 and a rediculous amount of saran wrap. Garbage bag now that makes sense! Thank yoU!!!! icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:46am
post #5 of 16

Wrapping two at a time??? icon_eek.gif LOL! No way! put them in a box and put the whole thing in a garbage bag. DONE!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 16

If the order is due Saturday, I bake on Thursday or Friday. I can bake 72 cupcakes at a time (I have a true convection oven at my house). I buy plastic containers called "clam shells" that hold 1 dozen cupcakes each. I take the cupcakes out of the over and put them in the clam shells and close the lid. Once they have cooled completely I open the lids and ice the cupcakes right in the clam shells. The clam shells keep the cupcakes really moist for several days.

The only negative thing about the clam shells is fondant decorations go limp. I don't put the decorations on the cupcakes until delivery (weddings) or for small order pick ups I put the decorations in a separate baggie for the customer to put on the cupcakes.

HomemadeUpgrade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HomemadeUpgrade Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 16

I make around 200 cupcakes every Friday and around 100 cupcakes every Monday for a farmers market on Saturdays and Tuesdays. I bake out of my home and can only make 24 cupcakes at a time. I do my work all at once. Bake, make frosting, decorate, package, label, paperwork, etc. Fridays take me about 6-7 hours and Monday take me about 3 hours.

HomemadeUpgrade Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 16

I make around 200 cupcakes every Friday and around 100 cupcakes every Monday for a farmers market on Saturdays and Tuesdays. I bake out of my home and can only make 24 cupcakes at a time. I do my work all at once. Bake, make frosting, decorate, package, label, paperwork, etc. Fridays take me about 6-7 hours and Monday take me about 3 hours.

cai0311 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:19am
post #9 of 16

Homemadeupgrade:
You need to get a true convection oven. I bought one several months ago and it has saved me so much baking time!

HomemadeUpgrade Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 16

cai0311, I just started my little business. I am now trying to decide if I should continue working out of my home (cottage baking law) or if I should start looking for a commercial kitchen to rent. The idea of being able to bake 6 dozen at once vs my sad little 2 dozen at once makes me giddy.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 16

I could bake 4 dozen per shelf, and I have 5 shelves...just saying! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my oven. I actually don't mix batter fast enough to fill it up. Before I can get stuff on the bottom shelf, the stuff on the top shelf is ready to come out!

I need a helper!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:03pm
post #12 of 16

My timeline is opposite from most. I am a little nuts about freshness. I make my buttercreams and fillings ahead. At the last minute, as your time allows, bake the cupcakes and let them cool. Then fill and frost and send them out the door.

cai0311 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

cai0311, I just started my little business. I am now trying to decide if I should continue working out of my home (cottage baking law) or if I should start looking for a commercial kitchen to rent. The idea of being able to bake 6 dozen at once vs my sad little 2 dozen at once makes me giddy.

I bake from my house under a cottage law also. My oven was $1400 including the fee to have the delivery guy install it. Even if I didn't bake another cake I would want this oven for home use. I can pick if I want convection bake or not (I also have a setting for convection roast that makes amazing crisp skinned turkey).

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 6:51pm
post #14 of 16

Cai... What kind of oven do you have if you do t mind me asking? I have read mixed reviews about convection ovens, so Id love to know what kind you have. I'm looking for a new oven.

cai0311 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:55pm
post #15 of 16

I will check when I go home tonight. I am not sure what the model number is.

cai0311 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 10:15pm
post #16 of 16

I finally remember to check what my oven is:

Samsung
FTQ387LWGX

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%