Mmf Texture Help

Baking By houri Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 11:38pm by DolceDreams

houri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
houri Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I made my first fondant covered cake using marshmallow fondant, while it tasted really good...it was pretty chewy, not very easy to cut and a bit dry and so not very edible. Is there anything I can do fix this?

8 replies
Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 9

That's pretty much the nature of fondant. I like the flavor of the MMF but I don't care for the texture. All fondant I've ever eaten has had the same type of texture. The easiest way to cut through (at least for me) is a very sharp kitchen knife. My serrated knives just tear it up. When I serve fondant cakes about half the people eat it and the other half just peel it off. It's really more for a pretty look than a delicious taste.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 9

You can knead in some crisco, did you let it sit for at least 5 hours first?

flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 9

Add a Tablespoon of Glycerin. That tend to help some. icon_smile.gif

houri Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 9

@Sorelle - I made it a couple of days in advance and covered it in crisco...maybe I should add in some shortening while rolling?

@flourjuice - thanks.. i'll give that a try next time icon_smile.gif

DolceDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DolceDreams Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:58am
post #6 of 9

A couple days ago I experimented with MMF. I like my usual recipe, but this time I tried vanilla rather than lemon, and it tasted much better. As far as texture goes, I varied the amount of powdered sugar in each one a bit. I found that when I added more sugar, the texture was better. Not quite as chewy or gummy, but it was a little stiffer. With less powdered sugar, the taste was better but the texture was very gummy.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:51am
post #7 of 9

You just have to hang in there because not only is there personal preference in texture and taste but the weather and what ingredients you use can even affect it. For instance, change up your marshmallows, confectioner's sugar or shortening for another brand and it may act differently. Or, is it raining or dry outside? I know that for me I have had to learn how it should feel to be that right balance of being strong enough not to tear but then not so dense it is too chewy. There is the play between the confectioner's sugar and the shortening to get it just right because some days you need more of one or the other.

Keep playing with it! HTH

houri Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 9

Would it make a difference if I let it cool to room temperature on its own rather than microwaving it?

DolceDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DolceDreams Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by houri

Would it make a difference if I let it cool to room temperature on its own rather than microwaving it?

Not quite sure what you mean here. After making it, it is best to Crisco the outside and double saran wrap it and let it sit at room temp overnight. I know some people refrigerate it overnight after making it, then let it sit on the counter until it comes to room temp. I don't know whether or not microwaving it would contribute to the texture being chewy. Microwaving it in 5 sec increments is just supposed to help with pliability, and I have never heard of bringing it to room temp by microwaving it. I had some MMF turn out rather chewy, and I believe it's because I didn't use enough ps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%