Best Cake Book

Decorating By BGchef Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 10:52pm by warchild

BGchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BGchef Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 7

I thought this topic would already be posted for sure, but I cannot find it anywhere on the forums. If I've missed it, can someone pls point me in the right direction? If not, the question is:

In your experience, what is the best cake recipe book? And what is the best cake decorating book?

You may include magazines in your answer.

Thanks!

6 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 7

Roses Heavenly Cakes , The Cake Bible , and anything by Mich Turner . Would love to hear anyone else's favourites . I am collecting !

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 7

I love Martha Stewart's cupcake book for recipes. I've used a ton of them as cakes and they always work out fine

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with PP. For something different in cake and filling flavors, like Whimsical Bakehouse. The orange butter cake with orange mouse, freckled mocha cake with chocolate-hazelnut mouse, lemon-ginger cream cheese pound cake, walnut caramel cake...mmmmmm. The book is small and somewhat disorganized, but jam-packed with recipes, decorating instructions, and beautiful pictures. I can't believe how often I pull it from the shelf!

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 7

Thankyou Sangria Cupcake , now I have the next book on my list !

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 7

well, everything depend of what you are looking for. let me explain me, i got a collection of maybe 100 cake(cupcake) books, yes crazy i know, when i first started with my cake addiction i got so many books and DVD. but you do not have to be so crazy, many of the cake book have the same. My advice :
1- Buy them used form eBay or amazon.
2- Think about what do you want to learn, what are you looking for in a book before you buy them. ( i got so many books, that have exactly the same thing, so waste of money)
3-if you are a scratch baker, buy the one that has it all( 2 or 3 are really good number) everything else you can look it up on line. (easy and free)

4- if you are looking for Gum-paste figure, buy clay books, ( cheaper and super good)

5- Flower buy DVDs, way better to learn from.

6-you tube, cake central, and all of the tutorial out there are super good.

i hope this help to save you some money.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 7

Baking books I have and like.. Rose's Heavenly cakes.. Tish Boyle's Cake book...Susan Purdy's The Perfect Cake.

A few of the cake deco books I have and like..

Lindy Smith ... Debbie Brown ... Maisie Parrish ... Toba Garrat ... Peggy Porschen ... Alan Dunn ... Eddie Spence (master of piping with royal ) ... The International School of Sugarcraft series ... Whimsical Bake House, assorted ... Confetti Cakes .... Kerry Vincent ... Colette Peters...

Also old cake deco books I have that are outdated in design, but still a wealth of information on piping techniques.

Cile Burbidge ... Wilton Encyclopedia set ... Lambeth Method of cake decorating

Most cupcake books published I swear, as I became obsessed with them for a while. icon_rolleyes.gif

Cakes and -----craft Magazine ... Wedding cake magazine ... (from Squires Kitchen UK)

Modern Wedding Cakes & Chocolates magazine, a nice mag for inspriration if you can find them used at a decent price. Cost for new has gone up to $50 per magazine. thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%